Releasing the King

Chapter 8 - Releasing the King

"One stage of your journey is over. Another begins." Gandalf said, now dressed in a grey cloak over his white robes, as all five of us walked through the forest. "We must travel to Edoras with all speed."

"Edoras? That is no short distance!" Gimli complained, again. He really could not go one day without having to complain about something.

"We hear of trouble in Rohan. It goes ill with the king." Aragorn said.

"Yes, and it will not be easily cured." Gandalf admitted to us all.

"Then we have run all this way for nothing? Are we to leave those poor Hobbits here... in this horrid, dark, dank tree-infested..." Gimli said and groans were once more heard in the forest. "I mean, charming... quite charming forest!"

"It was more than mere chance that brought Merry and Pippin to Fangorn. A great power has been sleeping here for many long years. The coming of Merry and Pippin will be like the falling of small stones... That starts an avalanche in the mountains." Gandalf spoke wisely. My head hurt again so I started to walk a little slower, not wanting to faint again.

"In one thing you have not changed, dear friend." Aragorn said and I smiled, I knew exactly what he was about to say. "You still speak in riddles." We laughed, which made my head hurt more.

"A thing is going to happen that has not happened since the Elder Days. The Ents are going to wake up... and find that they are strong." Gandalf explained.

"Strong?" Gimli said and the forest groaned again. "Oh, that's good."

"So stop your fretting, Master Dwarf. Merry and Pippin are quite safe." Gandalf told him, growing impatient. I let out a small laugh as I looked at Gimli's expression. "In fact, they are safer than you are about to be." Gandalf added as he kept walking.

"This new Gandalf's more grumpy than the old one." Gimli muttered to himself but I heard him very clearly. I stopped and shot him a glare before taking one more step and finally feeling the sun on my skin. I closed my eyes and breathed the fresh air, much nicer than in the forest. I opened my eyes as I heard Gandalf whistle. In the distance, I saw a great white horse come galloping towards us.

"That is one of the Mearas... unless my eyes are cheated by some spell." Legolas spoke as softly as usual.

"Shadowfax." Gandalf greeted the horse and stroked him. "He is the lord of all horses... and has been my friend through many dangers." He said. We all hopped on our horses. Legolas and Gimli on one. Aragorn and I in another and Gandalf on Shadowfax as we rode at great speed to Edoras.

***

"Edoras and the Golden Hall of Meduseld. There dwells Theoden, King of Rohan... whose mind is overthrown. Saruman's hold over King Theoden is now very strong." Gandalf said as we stopped in the plains of Rohan to look at Edoras in front of us. "Be careful what you say. Do not look for welcome here." He said and we rode into Edoras.

As Aragorn and I reached the outside gates, we saw the standard flutter to the ground next to us. I looked at him questioningly as he furrowed his brows and looked up to the Golden Hall.

"You'll find more cheer in a graveyard." Gimli said. And he wasn't so far from right. This place did feel... weird. The people were staring at us like we were enemies, almost. They probably didn't have many visitors in these dark times. All these strangers staring at me, it made me feel a little out of place. It was also quiet here. Too quiet, a little like Fangorn Forest, whithout the groans of the trees of course. We got off our horses and walked up a few steps to the Hall. A few guards came walking out of the Hall and stopped in front of us.