Chapter 3: Auxillem

"Elizabeth, where are your manners?!" Dr. Saltzman's voice went up two octaves at Lizzie's action. Silence laid bare as everyone processed the shock coursing through their body. "This way Rafael," Josie spoke to the clearly afraid boy, "Bye, Dad," Lizzie mimicked her sister's words, kissing her Dad on his cheek before leading the tour.

"Wow," Hope clapped ever so slowly. "Go to your room," Dr. Saltzman said to the child before walking to his office. The tour was going somewhat well, Josie busy showing the classrooms and halls and dorms, giving an impromptu history lesson to the boy who still hasn't processed who he was. And Lizzie, busy being enamored by the new face to notice anything.

They stopped in front of a classroom filled with students, "This is the Enchanted Chemistry classroom," Josie opened the door slightly, allowing Rafael to take a peek. Confusion filled his mind as he saw the teacher inside wore a different uniform compared to the teachers from the other classrooms.

Josie saw the confusion that painted the boy's face, she took a peek herself, seeing a familiar face, "Hi Dorian!" she waved. "That's Dorian," Josie closed the door quietly, "He's the school librarian, but he's subbing for the EnChem teacher,"

"The EnChem teacher had to take a sick leave," Lizzie spoke, "He burned his face off," Her eyebrows suddenly furrowed, something from a distance caught her attention, "Speak of someone who should have their face burned off," All attention turned to one girl in a black jacket flirting with another girl. "Who's that?"

"She who shall not be named," Lizzie turns to Rafael, "My sister's evil ex," Josie stared at the scene, jaw clenched. "The she-devil herself. Saying her name gives her powers" Josie stares, all she could do is stare, moving on meant moving on. "The outdoor cafeteria is that way," The brunette mindlessly pointed to a direction, long as it meant not witnessing this she did not care where the direction actually led.

The words Josie said no longer made any sense to her but she kept going wherever her body would take her, "Am I still making sense?" She turned around only to find no one behind her. The brunette retraced her steps, was she actually just talking to herself? Since where?

Familiar sniffles led her to a secluded area of the school. Blonde hair she knew too well covered a crying figure, "Lizzie?" the blonde twin lifted her head, tears falling even harder as she made eye contact with her sister. "Lizzie, what happened?" Incoherent string of words spill out of Lizzie's mouth. "What?"

"Penelope," Lizzie sobs harder hearing the name. Josie's jaw clenches again, pulling her sister closer, "Rafael, where is he?" Lizzie shrugs, clutching the brunette's uniform for comfort. "Ok. Why don't you go take a breather? Get a smoothie from the smoothie bar," Josie smiled, wiping the tears off Lizzie's face, "Take a deep breath and smile. I'll look for Rafael, ok?"

Lizzie nods, fixing her uniform, giving Josie a hug before skipping off to the smoothie bar. Josie looks around the open space, the lines of trees catching her attention. With nothing but her intuition, the brunette walks through the woods, finding Rafael in the decrepit old mill.

"Hey," Josie smiled. "Look, I'm not leaving my brother," Rafael's eyes were crowded by fear. "Ok, let's not rush to things," Josie takes a step forward, Rafael takes a step back. "You can't make me,"

"Can I sit here?" Josie pointed at a spot not too close to Rafael, taking his silence for a yes. She took a seat on the patchy grass, while the boy sat in the elevated floor of the old mill "Why are you being nice? You don't know me," Josie smiled sweetly, "You're right, I don't," She nods, "But I do know that you've been from foster home to foster home," Josie paused, looking for the right words to say, "And the idea of a forever home scares you. It shouldn't, but it does,"

"I'm a freak," Rafael's voice cracks. "So am I," Rafael scoffs at the brunette's answer, "You're a witch. You look normal," Josie smiles, "I'm not a witch," Rafael's eyebrows furrowed. "Being a witch means having a magic of your own. I don't," Rafael opens his mouth yet no words come out. "I'm a Siphoner, a witch with no magic of her own. So is my sister,"

A butterfly caught Josie's attention, it flaps it's wings to no avail. "Hey there," Gentle hands pick up the butterfly, "What happened to you?" Josie's brown eyes land on Rafael, "Wanna see a trick?" She offers her right hand to the hesitant boy. Rafael holds her hand, a red hue highlights them. Josie releases his hand, staring at the injured butterfly on her left hand, "Hang tight buddy,"

Josie covers the butterfly with both hands, careful not to squish the poor animal, "Auxillem," Her hands emit a bright light, silence followed soon after. The doe-eyed girl opened her hands, a healed butterfly flutters it's wings beautifully. The two teenagers watched as the butterfly lands on a nearby flower, "We should head back Rafael-"

"Call me Raf," Josie smiles, "Call me Josie,"