Chapter 16: What A Night

Caroline was woken up by knocking on the twin's door. A pause was followed by scurrying footsteps. She looks around, realizing the room is now dark. Turning the lamp on, she was surprised to see Josie already in bed.

She pulled herself off of a sleeping Lizzie and approached Josie. The mother caressed her daughter's hair, it had been a long time since she had done it. She caressed the bandage on Josie's forehead. It was white with a small path of red seeping through.

"How's she?" Caroline turned to Alaric who stirred awake and stood up.

"Fine." She said, "I hope."

"When are you picking up your car from the car wash?"

"Tomorrow." Caroline paused. "What took you so long?"

Uh..."We buried a..."

"What, Ric?" Caroline stood up, "What could possibly be more important than your daughter being rushed to the hospital?"

"We buried a dragon!" Alaric whisper-screamed, "Can we not argue while the twins are a few feet from us?"

Caroline sighed, "What? Fine."

"Also, we need to discuss punishments."

"Tomorrow, Ric. We all need to rest." Caroline opened the door, surprised to find a small box with a note. 'A thank you gift for a helping hand. -Hope' Curiosity got the better of Caroline and she opened the box. It contained Josie's glasses, the cracks and stains now gone.

Oh... The second heart beat...

"What's that?"

Caroline closed the box and placed it and the note on Josie's night stand before shutting Lizzie's lamp. "The start of a friendship we've been waiting for." Alaric understood and was confused at the same time, but nodded anyway.

In the kitchen, a little bit earlier, Penelope stares at the glass Josie washed, her words bounced inside Penelope's head. 'Why did you make me choose?' She'll understand soon. She'll choose herself and let me back in. Penelope can wait for her, she was worth waiting a million years for.

MG sighed, making his presence known. "You should've just answered her, you know."

"It's not that simple-"

"Yes it is." Penelope glared at him. "You just can't give her an answer because there is none."

A part of Penelope acknowledges that MG was right. Unfortunately the other part that screams wrong was much louder. "Josie is selfless, and there is only one room for a selfish person in her life."

"So you're competing with Lizzie?" MG scoffs, "Pen, Josie is not a toy prize."

"I know that."

"And she's certainly no dog."

"I know that too."

"Do you?" MG raises an eyebrow, "Because no matter how selfless and loyal Josie is, once you let her go, there is a big possibility she will not come back."

Penelope scoffs, "Then why does she always come crawling back to Lizzie?"

He paused before answering, "Maybe because neither of them had learned to let go." Penelope was shocked at how wise MG is. If he chooses to, he could replace Emma. MG Sighed again, "Pen, you and Josie are both my friends. Your intentions are good." He smiled, "But how you came about it was not. And if you don't give her an answer or an explanation, she will find someone else."

No...No...No, Josie would come back. Josie would let her back in. That was the plan. "You're saying that like it's a prophecy."

"Maybe it is." MG paused. "You didn't think this through, did you?"

Penelope left for her room. She wasn't about to admit that he could be right. A certain auburnette entered her field of vision and stopped her in her tracks. Where is she headed in the dead of night?

Hope held what looked like a box in her hands and was headed for...No...

Penelope rubbed her eyes, is she going to Josie's room? Well, it was both Josie's and Lizzie's, but whatever. Hope was hesitant, taking a deep breath before knocking. Blue eyes met brown as Hope turned around. Both girls were stunned by each other's presence. Hope placed the box by Josie's door, eyes not leaving Penelope, before scurrying to her own room.

Penelope wanted to know what Hope left behind, but a pair of muffled voices talking that didn't sound like Josie and Lizzie scared her to go back to her room. MG's words haunted her as she struggled to sleep. Could he be right? All she could do is pray that he wasn't.