Chapter 4: Hagrid's Hut (SS CH8)

Before I knew it, the first week at Hogwarts had come to an end. It was Friday in the corridor when I overheard Harry and Ron talking.

"Cheer up," said Ron, "Snape's always taking points off Fred and George. Can I come and meet Hagrid with you?"

"Did you say Hagrid?"

"Sure did. Why?" asked Harry.

"Oh, he and I are friends. I've been meaning to go to the grounds and see him, but I just haven't had the time to yet."

"Well we're heading over there around three. You're welcome to join us," said Ron, "That is, if you don't have class."

"Meh, who needs Arithmancy, anyway? Thank you."

"No problem." Harry was just sort of looking at me during this time; not staring, just making courteous eye contact. 

As I got up and walked away I heard Ron ask, "Do you fancy her or something? You couldn't look anywhere else."

"Ron!" Harry exclaimed. I laughed silently to myself.

At five to three we left the castle and made our way across the grounds, me leading the way since I knew where I was going. Hagrid lived in a small wooden house on the edge of the forbidden forest. I'd seen it many times, but never been inside. A crossbow and a pair of galoshes were outside the front door.

When Harry knocked we heard a frantic scrabbling from inside and several booming barks. Then Hagrid's voice rang out, saying, "Back, Fang- back."

Hagrid's big, hairy face appeared in the crack as he pulled the door open.

"Hang on," he said. "Back, Fang. Oh, hullo there, Toni."

He let us in, struggling to keep a hold on the collar of an enormous black boarhound who I knew very well. "Hello, Fang," I said in a high-pitched voice as I went over and scratched his droopy ears.

I took in my surroundings. There was only one room inside. Hams and pheasants were hanging from the ceiling, a copper kettle was boiling on the open fire, and in the corner stood a massive bed with a patchwork quilt over it. I had to admit, it was a lot bigger than I thought it would be.

"Make yerselves at home," said Hagrid, letting go of Fang, who bounded straight at Ron and started licking his ears. Like Hagrid, Fang was not as fierce as he looked.

"This is Ron," Harry told Hagrid, who was pouring boiling water into a large teapot and putting rock cakes onto a plate.

"Another Weasley, eh?" said Hagrid, glancing at Ron's freckles. "I spent half me life chasin' yer twin brothers away from the forest."

"I've tried to tell them there's dangers in there-"

"They just don' listen!" Hagrid's voice boomed against the walls.

The rock cakes Hagrid served us were shapeless lumps with raisins that almost broke our teeth, but we pretended to enjoy them as we all told Hagrid about our first lessons. Fang rested on Harry's knee and drooled all over his robes.

Harry and Ron were delighted to hear Hagrid call Filch that old git, but I didn't like talking bad about people who were just doing their jobs. "Dumbledore hired him to patrol the school and give out strict orders, what do you expect?"

They ignored me. "An' as fer that cat, Mrs. Norris, I'd like ter introduce her to Fang sometime. D'yeh know, every time I go up ter the school, she follows me everywhere? Can't get rid of her- Filch puts her up to it." I couldn't argue that that wouldn't be annoying.

Harry told Hagrid and I about Snape's lesson. We, like Ron, told Harry not to worry about it, that Snape liked hardly any of his students.

"Imagine how much he dislikes Rian, being a muggle born in Slytherin. That's hardly ever heard of. The only one right now."

"And for a long time," Hagrid added.

"But he seemed to really hate me."

"Rubbish!" said Hagrid. "Why should he?"

I couldn't help but notice that Hagrid didn't quite meet his eyes when he said that, as did Harry.

"How's yer brother, Charlie?" Hagrid asked Ron. "I liked him a lot- great with animals."

I wondered if Hagrid had changed the subject on purpose. While Ron told Hagrid all about Charlie's work with dragons, Harry picked up a piece of paper that was lying on the table under the tea cosy. He tapped me on the arm. It was a cutting from the Daily Prophet:

GRINGOTTS BREAK-IN LATEST

Investigations continue into the break-in at Gringotts on 31 July, widely believed to be the work of dark wizards or witches unknown.

Gringotts goblins today insisted that nothing had been taken. The vault that was searched had in fact been emptied the same day.

"But we're not telling you what was in there, so keep your noses out if you know what's good for you," said a Gringotts spokesgoblin this afternoon.

"Hagrid!" said Harry, "that Gringotts break-in happened on my birthday! It might've been happening while we were there!"

There was no doubt about it, Hagrid definitely didn't meet Harry's eyes this time.

While walking back to the castle, I asked Harry if he was truly worried about Snape. "I feel like he's hiding something, especially after what Hagrid said."

"He's a teacher, and you're a student. He's not going to share his secrets and life story with you." I sighed then stopped in my tracks. "I'll keep an eye on him," I whispered once Ron walked away enough so that he was out of earshot. 

"Thank you. I think he wanted to steal that thing that was from Gringotts." He lowered his voice even more and leaned in closer to me. "Whatever it is, it's in the castle."

Even though I thought this was silly, it was serious to him. And that was enough reason to change my mind. If I could help him "discover the truth", I would in a heartbeat; and I didn't need a reason, which was unusual for me. All I knew was in my heart, in my mind, I had a gut feeling I needed to help him. And I had never been so absolutely sure of something in my thirteen years of life.