Chapter 7: First Match of the Season (SS CH11)

This was it: tomorrow was going to be my first game as an official member of the Gryffindor Quidditch team. How I felt? If anyone asked me, I'd say, "Excited, of course." But on the inside, I was screaming. I wasn't ready. I'd only played Quidditch in front of the school one other time and I was a nervous wreck. 

Oliver could tell, as he sat down next to me at dinner, me only nibbling on pieces of a roll I was pulling apart. "You alright?"

I wanted to say, "Just some pre-game nerves," but my mouth beat me to it, blurting, "What if I get hurt again? What if I can't hold on to the ball? What if the Slytherins are ruthless? What if we lose and I'm the reason?"

"Tone, Toni, Antonia. Calm down. You're the twins' main focus- they won't let you get hurt, you will, and they will. And if we lose I will hate you forever." My eyes widened in terror, so he laughed to show me he was kidding. "You'll be great." He grabbed my shoulders and playfully shook me. "If we win, I'll take you to Hogsmeade."

"Like on a date?"

"Yes, a date."

The Common Room was booming with excitement and people asking me how good of  a Seeker I thought Harry was, but I kept my mouth shut because Oliver wanted to keep his abilities a secret.

I was reading a book about phoenixes, getting lost in learning all about them. How they can be used for so many things- wands, healing tears. How they live forever and can get passed down a family for infinity. 

It was only when Harry rushed into the room that I noticed it was just me, Harry, Ron, and Hermione now. 

"Did you get it?" Ron asked. 

I looked up from my book, asking, "What's the matter?"

Harry took a few seconds to catch his breath before telling us. "Snape was bitten on the leg by the dog."

"The three-headed dog guarding the valuable thing," Ron told me. None of them knew I already knew this information, so I nodded.

"You know what this means? He tried to get past that three-headed dog on Halloween! That's where he was going when we saw him- he's after whatever it's guarding! And I'd bet my broomstick he let that troll in to make a diversion."

"No- he wouldn't," Hermione protested. "I know he's not very nice, but he wouldn't try and steal something Dumbledore was keeping safe."

"Honestly, Hermione, you think all teachers are saints or something," snapped Ron. "Tone, you've been here two years- do you think Snape would do something like this?"

"I wouldn't put it past him. I'm with you, Harry."

He gave an appreciative nod. "But what's he after? What's that dog guarding?"

I checked the time on my watch- nearly midnight. "Who knows, but we'll worry about that later. Get a good night's sleep, Harry, or Wood will be furious.

 11 o'clock had me standing in the locker rooms, listening to Oliver's speech he gave before every game. "Okay, men."

"And women," I chimed in.

"And women," Oliver agreed. "This is it."

"The big one," said Fred.

"The one we've all been waiting for," joined George.

I leaned in closer to Harry. "We all know Oliver's speech by heart, it's the same one every time."

"Shut up, you two," he snapped at the twins, but I noticed he smiled a little at me for recognising his speech never changed. "This is the best team Gryffindor's had in years. We're going to win. I know it. Harry, you'll stand next to me. I'll fly out first, then you, the twins, and our chasers." Nobody moved after he stopped talking. "What are you sitting around for, get dressed!"

We got in position like Oliver told us too. He saw Harry look around. "Scared, Harry?" he asked. 

"A little," he admitted.

"That's alright. I felt the same before my first game."

"What happened?"

"I, uh- I don't really remember. I took a bludger to the head 2 minutes in. Woke up a week later in hospital." 

I shoved my way through Fred and George and grabbed Harry's shoulder. "But that's not gonna happen to you." I turned my head to Oliver. "Nice pep talk, Wood."

"Get back where you're supposed to be, Marston."

"Harry, you'll be fine."

"Thanks, Toni."

"Go time."

We went soaring through the air. I noticed Rian standing next to Ron, a Gryffindor scarf wrapped around her neck. 

Madam Hooch released the Quaffle and I took it immediately, darting to the three goal posts. People in the stands were shouting all the different variations of my name as I through the Quaffle and scored the first points of the game. 

"That Tonia Marston sure is something!" Lee Jordan spoke into his microphone. "rather pretty, too-"

"JORDAN!" McGonagall yelled. I winked at him in the stands.

I high-fived George as we flew past each other. I was in my element now, dodging both bludgers and other players. 

All was good until two of the Slytherin Chasers decided to get on either side of me and fly me into the stands. That's the last thing I remembered.

I slowly opened my eyes as I heard familiar voices of my friends talking. 

"Don't worry, Rian, I'm sure Toni will be okay. It was only a fall, she's had worse."

"Yeah, but from that height?"

"Madam Pomfrey said it was just a broken arm."

"What happened?"

"Oh, Toni!" Rian exclaimed, practically jumping on top of me as I tried to sit up.

"Ow!" My arm hurt really bad and it was in a sling.

"Sorry."

"Harry caught the snitch in his mouth. We won!"

"But someone was jinxing his broom, trying to make him fall." 

"Is he okay?" trying to stand up to go look for him.

"Yeah, he's fine," Fred said, pushing me back down. "Get some rest, we'll be right here.

The trio visited me later that day (Pomfrey wanted to keep me overnight to make sure my bones healed correctly) and asked me if I'd ever heard the name Nicolas Flamel. It sounded familiar, but I just didn't know how. 

"Did someone really try and jinx you off your broom?"

"Yeah, but I'm fine."

"Good." 

"It was Snape," Ron said at once.