Chapter 13: Third Floor (SS CH16)

I was already at Hagrid's when the three young first years came storming up to his hut. 

"Hullo," Hagrid said cheerfully. "Finished yer exams? Got time for a drink?"

"Yes, please," Ron said, but Harry cut him off.

"No, we're in a hurry. Hagrid, I've got to ask you something. You know that night you won Norbert? What did the stranger you were playing cards with look like?" Harry asked breathlessly.

"Dunno," Hagrid said casually. "He wouldn' take off his cloak." The four of us raised our eyebrows. "It's not unusual, yeh get a lot o' funny folk in the Hog's Head pub."

"What did you talk about? Did you mention Hogwarts to him?"

"Mighta come up," he frowned. 

I ran my hands through my hair. "Hagrid!" I yelped.

"He asked me what I did fer work an' I told him I was a gamekeeper here. Asked what sorta creatures I look after... so I told him after Fluffy a dragon would be easy."

"And did he- did he seem interested in Fluffy?" Harry asked, trying to keep his voice calm.

 Well, yeah- how many three-headed dogs d'yeh meet, even around Hogwarts? So I told him, Fluffy's a piece o' cake if yeh know how to calm him down, jus' play him a bit o' music an' he'll go right ter sleep-"

Harry and I's eyes light up as we looked at each other. 

"I shouldn'ta told yeh that!" he blurted out. 

I shot out my chair and bolted toward the castle. Harry was following me closely with the other two not far behind us. We only stopped once we reached the Entrance Hall and I started talking.

"We have to go to Dumbledore. Hagrid told that stranger how to get past Fluffy, and if it was either Snape or You-Know-Who under that cloak..." My words trailed away, not wanting to finish that sentence.

"It must've been easy once he got Hagrid drunk. I just hope Dumbledore believes us. Firenze might back us up if Bane doesn't stop him. Toni, where's Dumbledore's office?"

"Uhh... umm." I stumbled over my words before pointing upward. I couldn't remember. With the staircases changing all the time, there was no use searching for it now.

"Great," he uttered sarcastically. "We'll just have to-" Harry began, but a voice suddenly rang across the hall. 

"What are you four doing inside?" It was Professor McGonagall, carrying a large pile of books.

"We want to see Professor Dumbledore," Hermione said quite bravely.

"See Professor Dumbledore? Why?" Oh, no, she was onto us.

"It's sort of secret," Harry said. 

McGonagall's nostrils flared. "Professor Dumbledore left ten minutes ago. He received an urgent owl from the Ministry of Magic and flew off to London at once."

"He's gone?" Harry said frantically. "Now?"

"Albus Dumbledore is a very great wizard, Potter, he has many demands on his time-"

"But this is important."

"Something you have to say is more important than the Ministry of Magic, Potter?"

I stepped forward. "Look. Professor McGonagall- it's about the Philosopher's Stone." 

McGonagall's books fell out from under her arms. "How do you know-" she sputtered. 

"Binns did a lesson on it, and I was the only one awake." She sighed. "Someone's going to try and steal the Stone. I've got to talk to Dumbledore."

"Professor Dumbledore will be back tomorrow," she said finally. "I don't know what Binns was thinking- speaking about such things in class- but rest assured no one can steal it, it's too well protected."