Chapter 40: Happy Fifteenth Birthday!

I slowly opened my eyes as light poured into the room from the small window to my right. I sat up and noticed a pile of sweets arranged neatly at the foot of my bed.

I got up and looked at them all. They all looked so delicious.

I unwrapped one and put it in my mouth, moaning because of how good it tasted.

Harry stirred and sat up. "You like them? I bought all the strawberry flavoured things Sugarplum's sells. Happy birthday!"

"Thank you!"

"You're welcome."

We skipped breakfast down in the pub that morning and instead ate one of every type of sweet Harry had bought me. All of them were so good, but my favourite had to be Chocoballs- strawberry mousse and clotted cream coated in chocolate.

My Hogwarts letter arrived a few hours later. I opened it hastily and as I pulled out the course list, a small red thing fell out of it and landed on the floor. 

I abandoned the papers and got on my hands and knees to grab it from underneath the bed. I was shocked to see what it was.

"What is it?" Harry asked, so I held it up. "A Prefect badge? Congrats!"

"No, that must be a mistake. I'm average at every class except for History of Magic. I have to write Professor McGonagall immediately."

"Maybe it's more than just grades that they go on. You get along with everyone without having to try. All the teachers like you. You always do your best in all your classes and you're never late to any of them. You're a good role model for the younger students. I'd say keep it."

My heat warmed with all the compliments. "Thanks, Harry. Can you imagine Percy's face when he sees it?"

"Yeah, he's gonna flip."

"Do you have your list of things you need to buy?"

"Yeah, you want to do that now?"

"Yes. It's my birthday and I get to dictate what we do, and I saw we go shopping."

"But you forgot all about my birthday, so..."

"Sorry, I had more pressing matters to deal with," I said jokingly.

He came over to me and shoved me onto the bed playfully. "Oh, yeah? Like what?" He was hovering over me.

My heart raced as all the horrible memories of this summer came flooding back. I looked up at him with pain in my eyes. Suddenly the mood wasn't very playful anymore. 

"Sorry," he said, remembering too. He grabbed my hand and pulled me up.

"It's fine, you didn't mean to bring things up," I said, choking back the tears. "I'll wait for you downstairs."

I could tell Harry didn't want me to walk away and leave the conversation at a stand still, but he knew when to leave things alone.

"Flourish and Blotts will have most of what we need, but it's heavy, so you want to do that last?" he asked as we walked out the door of The Leaky Cauldron, our arms linked.

I parted from him and started wandering toward a green sign hanging on the window of the Magical Menagerie. Baby Bowtruckles- 3 Sickles

Harry joined me as I stared through the window and tried to get a look at all the branch-like creatures.

I turned around to face him. "I've wanted one of those since we did a lesson in Care of Magical Creatures last year. Newt Scamander himself had one!"

"I'll buy you one." I groaned at the offer. "C'mon, it's your birthday. What kind of best friend would I be if I didn't buy you anything?"