the surrender

"Alright, come on, let's move back to the chairs." JJ nodded, taking another beer out of the cooler and passing one to me as we sit back in the lawn chairs.
"Hey, hey, come here." He nodded at me, pulling me next to him and kissing me.

"Hey, hey, woah." Sarah laughed, shielding her eyes. JJ pulled away from me as we heard a boat engine.

"Woah! Alright!" JJ called as John b waved, laughing.

"Liar!" Sarah yelled whilst laughing because when she asked kie about pope earlier she said nothing was happening. We watched as Kie and Pope drove off on the HMS.

"Have a good time!" I giggled, waving at them.

"There he goes, he jacked your boat dude." JJ smiled at John B.

"Pope's poking on the Pogue." John B sighed as Sarah and I smiled. Sarah wolf-whistled after them as JJ wrapped an arm around me.

"May I have this dance?" He mumbled, swaying to the music.

"Mhm." I say, wresting my head against his chest as we dance around the fire.

"You should probably-" JJ started.

"Wait, wait, wait, wait, wait." John B said, holding an arm out to stop us. His tone was serious.

"What?" JJ asked, turning away from me as the four of us looked towards the fence.

"What was that?" John B whispered.

"Your chicken?" JJ asked as we listened to the squawking from the coop.

"I heard a car door." John B swallowed. JJ made chicken noises and John B slapped his hand over his mouth, listening.

"Go, go, go, the tree." I hissed as we scrambled, tossing away our beer cans. JJ put out the fire and we ran to the tree, helping each other up as we climbed high into the branches, way too drunk for whatever was about to happen.

The minutes ticked by, and finally, two figures entered the backyard. Rafe and Barry. Sarah slapped a hand over her mouth and JJ inched closer to me, eyes wide. Barry entered the back porch door, a gun in his hand, and Rafe stood over the still smoking fire.

"Where the hell are you?" He whispered to himself as the four of us watched silently from above.

We didn't move, straddling branches and keeping our backs pressed against the trunk so he wouldn't't see us. I held my breath, finding JJ's hand we all shot each other glances. Glass smashed as Barry ran off the back porch, tossing stuff aside.

"Yo!" Rafe called to him.
"Anything?" He called as we glanced at each other, praying they wouldn't see us.

"No, ain't shit in there, bro." Barry shook his head.

"No? Nothing?" Rafe asked from right below us.

"No, nothing, Rafe!" Barry sighed, fiddling with a the gun.

"They were obviously just here based off the smoke, man." Rafe sighed, gesturing the campfire.

"Yeah, yeah, yeah, great observation, boy scout!" Barry snapped.

"I mean they're not far, you know?" Rafe shouted as I flinched, keeping my sweaty hand tight on JJ's hand.
"They gotta be around here, somewhere." Rafe said. He walked up to the base of the tree, looking at the carving, and I winced.

"P4L." Barry laughed.

"Well, shit." Rafe laughs, pointing at it as JJ leans his head over the branch.

"So you're sister's a Pogue for life, huh, Rafe? Now who would've thought." Barry laughed. I breathed heavily, glancing at Sarah who looks like she might cry. JJ looked back at me, pressing a shaky finger to his lips. Silence filled the air for a few moments before Rafe screamed.