Step 40: Try a new hobby

We three plus an unconscious kid sat in uncomfortable silence. There wasn't much to say from there. 

Well, except for the moment the brother woke up. 

"It seems like the medicine is finally taking effect," I commented while Sai the Denial rushed over.

"Finally! We'll get to talk to this guy," Naruto exclaimed.

"Hey, you okay? Do you know where you are? You recognize this child?" I unceremoniously grabbed Sai's shoulder to bring his face closer to the sick guy. 

"...not a child." 

The older teen laughed weakly, nodding. "Sai..." 

"Don't speak, save your energy," Sai fretted. "Sensei, is he gonna be okay?" 

"I guess sure yeah, I don't know. Uh, you should eat something.  

"Sorry it's not ramen! It's a stupid fish on a stick!" 

*****

Ten minutes later, the other four children returned. 

"Sensei!" 

"Oh hey! Did you come up with something?" I asked Shino. 

"You're up! Hi!" Sakura zeroed in on the finally conscious boy. "I'm Sakura! And we met your brother 'Denial already. So what should we call you?" 

"Shin, you can call me 'Shin.'" 

"N-no! He-he's lying!" Sai the Denial interrupted hurriedly. "Uh, I mean, he doesn't know what he's talking about!" 

"Oh boy, here we go again," I groaned. 

"Then what should we call you if not 'Shin?'" Shino asked diplomatically. 

"Um, he's uh--" 

"Just call me Shin. And I guess my brother 'Sai' got a new name change, huh?" Shin poked him. 

"But--!" 

"It's okay to let them know. Can you trust me on this one?" 

Reluctantly Sai nodded. 

*****

So with the brothers squared away and settled, the four that took a trip suddenly remembered that they took said trip. 

The kids (mostly Sakura) were jumping in excitement. They all looked like they had just accomplished something amazing and couldn't wait to tell me. 

"We have money!" Sakura squeaked. 

"Money for medicine and other things." Hinata helpfully held up a pouch and shook it. 

"Oh sweet! Did you do some errands to get some money?" I asked, shuffling closer as the kids gathered. "Then it might be good to set up rotations of who goes when. So in that  case--" 

"Gambling." 

"--it's just gonna be me, Naruto, Shin--wait hang on, what?" I whipped my head around to look at Sasuke. 

Problem Child One smiled. It was not a good smile.  

"What?!" 

*****

While I sat there in stunned silence, the kids started telling me how they...acquired the money. 

"There's this little shop in an alley connected to the central street, and we went in looking for information," Shino started explaining. "And we didn't know it was a gambling place." 

"Hn." 

"So then we started asking around for info about medicine and medical aid," Sakura interrupted. "And then they wouldn't tell us anything!" 

"Not for free anyways. So instead, they challenged us to a card game, one-on-one." Shino nodded toward Hinata. "And I remember Hinata here is experienced in card games." 

Hinata smiled shyly, fidgeting under the praise. 

"You were amazing!" Sakura exclaimed, shaking the other girl's shoulders in bubbling excitement. "Sensei, she won! She didn't even need her special eye ability!" 

At Sakura's aggressive joy via shoulder shaking, Hinata patted the other's hands. 

"Yes indeed. Hinata's skills and luck alone earned us enough money for our crusade," Shino finished. "We got more medicine for your brother, Denial. Is this the right one?" 

"Oh! Yes." 

"And some food, Sensei!" 

"Ugh, finally! I'm tired of eating fish on a stick! Anything beats eating that again. Wish I had some ramen though..." 

"Same, buddy, same." 

*****

So apparently, Hinata is an amazing card player. Who knew? 

The kids had spent the rest of the day using Hinata's luck and wins to get money. Thankfully, their opponents weren't too interested that Hinata and the others were underage kids gambling with much older people (and that's still very concerning but I don't get to complain right now). 

There were a few pickpockets around her, so they squirreled their earnings to Sakura. She kept track of their money and set the stakes for each round, effectively, being the kids' treasurer.

Meanwhile, the boys were in charge of overall protection and observation. Shino kept an eye on the perimeter, prepared to alert the others at the first sign of danger. Sasuke was in charge of foul play and any players who got a bit too rambunctious or needed a "personal space" warning. Also for intimidation tactics via his Sharingan. 

I don't know what Problem Child One was thinking revealing his Sharingan, but here we are. 

"So Sensei, this is our most successful way to get money," Shino returned. "This should get us enough supplies for our next move." 

"Which reminds me, what are we doing, Shino? Didn't you say you had a plan?" I crossed my arms at the middle schooler. 

"Ah yes. Once we are all ready and back to full health, we can prepare to infiltrate Konoha and ask Danzo where my brother is." 

"...infiltrate? That's it?" 

"Yes. Why? Because we are on the outside of the village's borders." Shino tilted his head at me curiously. "The only way to move forward is to cross borders." 

"We just escaped the borders, Shino!" 

"Yes to recover and regroup. Now, we are close to final preparations." 

"Why do I have the feeling you're just making up plans as you go..."

"I do plan, Sensei." Shino looked offended. 

"Hn." 

I highly doubt that. 

"Fine. Whatever. What about Mr. Good Intent--I mean, uh...Sasuke's brother?"

"We will be able to regroup with him and successfully take down Danzo," Shino replied easily. "One more person to our crusade is extremely beneficial." 

"Shino...what makes you think we can even infiltrate let alone take down Danzo!?" 

"Instinct, Sensei." 

"Hn." 

"Why are you doing this to me...?" 

*****

"That reminds me, the person I told you about earlier, is a huge fan of gambling," I said much later to the kids. We were slowly unwinding down for the night. 

"Do you think Hinata can beat her?" Sakura asked eagerly. 

"I don't reall--you know what--sure yeah! Yes, Hinata would win. So maybe if we can make Hinata famous in the gambling community, maybe we'll catch Lady Tsunade's attention." 

"Yes!" 

"Kinda....being closer to finding this person," Naruto mumbled, half-asleep. 

"I have a plan then," Shino popped up, wide awake. 

His enabler menacingly waved a bag at me. 

I whimpered.