Step 35: Fight uphill battles.

"...by all means, let's have a riveting conversation." 

We all gathered around on the floor (we convinced Hinata to sit on the only chair). While Brother was busy being conked out, the rest of the kids got comfortable. 

 "Great. Where do you want to start?" I asked Good Intentions. 

"From the top." 

"That's not specific." 

"What are you doing out here?" Itachi amended. 

"...Okay, Lord Third died a while ago, and now Lord Danzo's in charge. He threw me in prison and was gonna make me into a lab rat." 

"And then we broke Sensei out of prison!"

"Yep. And uh, we got some ANBU help, so we're returning the favor," I concluded. "Any questions?" 

Itachi hardened his gaze. "Why leave the safety of Konoha? With someone who is more capable?"

"Because Konoha is no longer safe," Shino interrupted. "While Sensei was in prison, the rest of the village was on total lockdown. No one gets in and no one gets out." 

"Except for us!" Sakura cheered. Naruto wiggled excitedly. 

"We're awesome!" 

"We did get assigned to new teachers and new teammates," Shino continued. "Our previous teachers are heavily injured and so are some of our teammates." He nodded towards Hinata. "So as an emergency plan, Hokage Danzo reconfigured all the teams with active members." 

"It sure wasn't fun," Sakura added. "We weren't even allowed to see friends or family or take time off!" 

"Ugh, that does not sound good at all," I remarked in disgust and surprise. It's my first time hearing about all the details happening in Konoha. 

"It's better to be out and with our own resources than be trapped inside," Shino finished. "Why? Because we can skip procedure and protocol." 

"H-Hanabi, my s-sister i-is m-missing. H-her new t-team reported MIA." 

I stared at Pasty Pale.

Well, this is new. 

****

"Yeah, a lot of our peers have been reported back as either MIA or KIA," Sakura said more somberly. I haven't seen Ino either for a while." 

"Or Bushy-Brows!" 

"He's still in the hospital, Naruto." 

"What?" 

"We know where he is! He's not missing or dead or in any action! So he can't be MIA or KIA!" 

"Ohhhhhh." 

*****

"What's your plan to solve this issue?" Itachi asked. 

"Kill Danzo," Sasuke answered. 

"Wait, Lord Danzo?" Baby exclaimed. "You're planning to kill Lord Danzo!? Y-You didn't tell me that!" 

Ah, oops. 

Sasuke and I shared a wide-eyed look. 

*****

"So! Um, yeah, Danzo is the person we each have personal beef with."

"I have reasons to suspect Lord Danzo taking my brother away," Shino added. "Therefore, it is a logical conclusion to work together." 

"I'm here because Sensei doesn't belong in prison!" Sweetheart Sakura declared. "And it's all because of Lord Danzo's fault!" 

Shino added, "Sensei has been looking out for us with her widespread intel, so it's our turn to look out for her." 

 "B-but that's treason!" Baby exclaimed. 

"Yes, but reasonable treason," I countered. "Danzo is not great, and we all have reasons to take him down." 

"I can't help you then, I am loyal to Lord Danzo! He saved me and my brother..." 

"Oh." 

"Th-then why did you ask-k-k S-Sensei for help?" Hinata asked. "You w-want-ted S-Sensei to help f-f-f-find s-someone t-to t-treat your brother." 

And this is why we trust Hinata to ask the real questions around here.  

"Yes, if Lord Danzo is your rescuer, why don't you ask him to treat your brother?" Shino pressed. 

"I-I um, well...it's none of your business!" Baby sputtered. 

"Just think about it, okay?" I coaxed. "We all have very real reasons to take down Danzo." 

"I want no part in this operation. My brother and I, we won't help you!" Baby nervously fidgeted. "Besides, you guys can't possibly take him on!" 

"He's right," Itachi agreed, raising an eyebrow at me. "A group of Genin trying to take on one of the former Hokage's students?" 

"Well, when you put it like that..." 

"We can take him down," Shino said confidently. "We have a solid plan." 

"Hn." Ah, the one-sound-syllable child is back. 

"Wait, what's the plan?" I asked confused. "How come I never heard about this?" 

"I just created one." 

"...Oh. Good."