Chapter Three

Chapter Three 

"For love is just the same, without fortune or fame." 

Professor Trelawney's classroom smelled strongly of sweetly scented tea that made Rue's eyes water, and a perfumed scent that reminded Rue of the flowers in Mrs. Weasley's garden, which made her nose itch to no extent. She had puffy cushions for her students to sit on, as well as squishy chairs that made Rue want to fall asleep, and it was such dim lighting that Rue would've fallen asleep if it weren't for Ron's lanky legs from underneath the table knocking against her own.

"Welcome, my children." Trelawney announces, and she's slouched over, against the table, as she watches a woman with bug-eyed glasses and frizzy hair, and a shawl draped across her like a caricature, and colourful robes situate herself at the front of the class. Rue was slouched over a half-drawn cartoob sketch of Professor Trelawney with large, bulging and unrealistic bug-eyes behind her glasses, and she showed Harry from behind the sketch pad, who nodded his head in approval.

"In this room, you shall explore the noble art of Divination." She announces, "in this room, you shall discover if you possess the Sight." She stands, and bumps against her table, and the class giggles. "Hello. I am Professor Trelawney. Together, we shall cast ourselves into the future!" She gestures with her hands, smiling widely.

"This term, we shall be focusing on Tasseomancy, which is the art of reading tea leaves, so please, take the cup of the person sitting opposite you." She gestures to Patil and her partner with dramatized hand gestures, motioning for them to swap cups. Rue just sits patiently and works on her drawing while waiting for Hermione to show up.

"The truth lies buried like a sentence deep within a book, waiting to be read." Trelawney gestures excitedly to her students as she approaches Seamus. "But first, you must broaden your minds." She ruffles his head of hair as he gawks at her with a confused and tired stare. "First, you must look beyond." Trelawney announces aloud. Rue switches pages, and begins drawing a picture of Trelawney scratching a confused Seamus' head – one that she decided she would give to Seamus after class. Somedays, when she didn't feel like skipping stones with Hagrid, she would draw her godfather at the edge of the water, or the many creatures she'd remembered from her mother's sanctuary – or from her case.

"What a load of rubbish." Hermione whispers loudly, taking the seat beside Rue. Ron turns around, as does Harry, bewildered.

"Where did you come from?" Ron asks, and Rue merely smiles at her. She'd told the lycanthrope about her time-turner the moment they'd gone back to their dormitory the night of the first feast – which made Rue feel guilty about not showing her the case, but Hermione most likely assumed something was going on with it, from the way it rattled on in the night. She was so excited McGonagall had entrusted her to take all of these classes, and to use a time-turner, and she was so proud of herself she showed Rue the fancy gold locket that hung safely around her neck at all times and the stack of heavy books.

"Me? I've been here all this time, haven't I, Rue?" The lycanthrope nods her head, grinning from ear to ear and shushing them as if Trelawney was more interesting than their quarrels.

"You, boy... Is your grandmother quite well?" Trelawney gestures to Neville, who mutters out a pathetic, "I think so," and she responds with, "I wouldn't be so sure of that. Give me the cup." She coaxes, and he passes their professor the tea cup. She examines the tea remnants at the bottom, before making a pitiful noise and setting it down in disappointment. "Oo, pity." She sighs, and Neville snatches the cup from Seamus and Dean, who are across from him and examining their books.