Chapter Six

Chapter Six

"That there, that's not me

"That there, that's not me. I go where I please." 

The Dark Mark soared above Hogwarts – the Death Eaters wreaking havoc – and the Aurors had arrived to face them, and Rue watched with watery eyes as there's a crowd of students and staff over Dumbledore's body. Hagrid's Hut is up in flames, and the Death Eaters are retreating – destroying the castle and recoiling into the woods. Among them are Malfoy, Lestrange, Snape, Greyback, and Lestrange's husband, Rodolphus. Rue watches, as Harry crouches in front of Dumbledore's body – tears welling in his eyes – as he sobs – and she hears a few cries – and a few bodies shake as shoulders slouch – and the wands raise with a lighting charm first cast by McGonagall.

Rue watches, tearfully, mouth covering her hand, as Hagrid and Ron comfort her – sobbing into Hagrid's cloak as she raises her wand – following McGonagall's lead alongside the other staff and students – a bit of light in the darkness as the Death Eater's mark fades.

Harry sobs into Ginny's shoulder.

They stand on the clocktower the next morning, and Rue looks to Harry, concerned. "Do you think he would've done it? Draco?" She asks, quietly.

"No, he was lowering his wand... In the end, it was Snape. It was always Snape." Harry mutters, and Rue nods her head, silently - solemnly – as they stand in quiet, mourning the loss of their Headmaster, together. "And I did nothing," he says after a short pause.

"You couldn't have," she mutters, after an elongated silence – in spite of this, Harry sees the truth behind her words. "That many Death Eaters, plus Bellatrix Lestrange – Plus Snape – Plus Draco Malfoy – and a full-fledged werewolf? No way, Harry." She insists, and Harry looks over at her in a grateful undertone, though there's still guilt as he passes her the locket.

"It's fake," his voice falls flat.

"So, we'll find the real one," she responds quietly, looking down at the locket.

"Open it," Harry tells her.

"To the Dark Lord, I know I will be dead long before you read this, but I want you to know that it was I who discovered your secret. I have stolen the real Horcrux and intend to destroy it as soon as I can. I face death in the hope that when you meet your match you will be mortal once more. R.A.B." Rue mutters quietly. "Who's R.A.B?" She asks Harry, and he shrugs his shoulders.

"Mind if I keep this? I can ask my mum and dad, or Ruth and Sirius about it?" Harry reaches for it, but she pulls it away. "Please, Harry – they have a long list of Purebloods who might've done it – if they can help find who R.A.B is, it might be worth a shot. Maybe a school friend, or I dunno..." Rue and Harry are both desperate, and so Harry nods his head, and passes her the locket.

"Just don't let anyone see it," he tells her, and she tucks it into her case after opening the latches.

"That won't be an issue," she reassures. "Whoever they are, they have the real Horcrux."

"Which means it was all a waste." Rue hits him on the shoulder.

"Was not. You got closer, and it wasn't your fault." Rue insists, and Harry smiled grimly, nodding his head weakly.

"All of it." Harry muttered, pushing off the clocktower as Ron and Hermione watched from nearby.

"Ron's okay with it, you know." Rue tells him, and Harry stops, looking at her, confused. "You and Ginny," she nudges him, and he smiles fondly at the mention of Ginny. "But if I were you, when he's around, I'd keep the snogging to a minimum." She insists.

"Right, like you and Ron," Harry snarks back, and Ron cracks a smile.

"I'm not coming back, Rue." Harry tells the lycanthrope insistently. "I've got to finish whatever Dumbledore started." He looks down at the view below, hair blowing slightly in the wind. He sucks in a breath, and Rue smiles kindly as she nods her head. "And I don't know where that'll lead me, but I'll let you, Ron, and Hermione know where I am when I can."

"Then we go with you," Rue simply stated, looking at him from the corner of her eyes. "I've always admired your courage, Potter, but sometimes you can be really thick in the head. You thought we'd let you go at it alone?" She asks, looking over at him curiously, using his own words against him. "You don't think you're going to be able to find all those Horcruxes by yourself, do you?" She asks, arching her eyebrows in question. "You need us, Harry."

"I never realized how beautiful this place was," Harry mutters, as they watch Fawkes fly into the distance. They go to the opposite side of the clocktower to watch Fawkes, Dumbledore's Phoenix – soar away. Rue only wished her mother would've been able to see it.