Chapter Five

Chapter Five 

"I promise that I'll run away with you

"I promise that I'll run away with you." 

"Unbreakable Vow?" Ron repeats, as they're riding the train home for the holidays. "You're sure that's what Snape said," he asks, leaning forward as Rue rests her head on Ron's shoulder, her arms wrapped around him. She was sleepy, from the full-moons, but tried to pay attention to the conversation. The Unbreakable Vow – could this mean they were getting closer to a war — and could this mean that Draco Malfoy was in equal amounts of danger as they were? What about August Prior? Was he safe from his parents? Forget him, he was a traitor, right?

"Positive, why?" Harry asks, looking between the two of them, and Ron looks back at Rue, and then at Harry, sighing softly as she sits up to explain.

"It's just, you can't break an Unbreakable Vow." Rue explains, "they're sworn by magic. If you break it, you're sworn to death – whatever is on the other side of the vow that was meant for the people involved... Is not meant to be broken..." She continues quietly, and Harry looks stunned.

"I'd worked that much out for myself, funnily enough." Harry mutters, nodding along. "Just not the death part," he admits, and Rue nods her head quietly.

"Oh, bloody hell." Ron utters quietly, looking out through the glass of the compartment door. Lavender Brown is there, standing and staring longingly at Ron – Rue moves to stand, about to open the door, but Ron tugs her down. "Don't. I don't want either of us speaking with her–"

"I just want to have a word," Rue tells Ron, who nods his head, and gestures for her to go ahead. Lavender is about to move away from the door, but Rue stops her by the wrist as she opens the door. Rue leans in and mutters something that has Lavender going pale in the face, and her eyes welling up with tears as she gasps. She pulls away from Rue, frightened – as she runs down the corridor of the train – dashing past Hermione. Rue, with a cold glare, ducks back into the compartment and sinks into the seat next to Ron, rigid.

"What'd you say to her?" Ron asks, looking at Rue curiously – noticing her knuckles turning white against the seat of the train. If it were an animated object, it would've been in horrendous pain – just like Lavender.

"Just a few... empty threats." Rue spoke slowly – looking down and picking at her now, bright red nails from gripping the seat so hard. Hermione enters the compartment, looking unsettled by Rue's behaviour.

"Telling Lavender Brown you'll send her off to Azkaban along with the rest of the Death Eaters where she belongs for flirting with your boyfriend is not a few empty threats." Hermione emphasizes, taking a seat beside Harry. Rue shrugs her shoulders, leaning back into her seat and crossing her arms, her legs folding over each other as Ron looks at Rue, shocked. Harry, however, is amused by the situation.

"We have a jealous werewolf on our hands, I'd be careful, Hermione." Harry quips back, and Rue's expression softens, as Hermione and Ron both crack smiles. "It is getting annoying, the whole – I want my Won-Won," Harry mocks Lavender, and Rue giggles, as Ron takes Rue's hand, giving her a squeeze.