Chapter One

Chapter One 

"When you were here before, couldn't look you in the eye, you're just like an angel, your skin makes me cry." 

Helena sat in Grimmauld Place, preparing tea in the kitchenette as she listened to Sirius, Remus, and Arthur discuss Dumbledore and the Order. "We must trust Dumbledore," Arthur insists, looking down at the plans laid out on the table, and Remus looks to Helena, getting up from the table – where he sat on the end next to Sirius and Arthur, and distracted, approaches his wife as he listens to Arthur and Sirius bicker in the background as he embraces his wife – kissing her on the head.

"Tired, my wolf?" She asks softly, and he hums, nestling his nose into her hair and inhaling her scent to satisfy Moony in the dullness of the meetings as the sound of the other Aurors arriving could be heard – followed by the crack of August's crack of apparition. He'd left as soon as they'd landed – scoping out the place to make sure Harry's belongings arrived safely, and that they weren't followed.

"I say it's time to take action." Sirius argues, and Ruth places a hand on his shoulder. His hand connects with hers, thumb stroking her skin lovingly, and he kisses her on the wrist as she places a cup of tea down in front of him, and then one down in front of Arthur.

Mrs. Wealsey is quick to shut the door at the sight of Harry on the other side, and go out to greet him – Sirius stands, and so does William – and the two want to go out to greet him – but Remus stops them. "Let him settle," he tells them. "You can see him at supper," he reassures, and William sighs, sinking back into his seat and going back to clicking the pen Ruth had given him out of annoyance, and watching Arthur and Sirius go back and forth.

"I think we call it a night," Mad-Eye tells them, at half-past six, when the smell of food wafts through the dining room and kitchen combination – and from upstairs, the sound of the children's shouting has died down. "We follow through with Dumbledore's orders for right now. As much as you want to go mad, remember where you ended up last time, Padfoot?" Mad-Eye asks, and Sirius looks down, huffing as Ruth kisses him on the head. Ruth begins folding away the plans, and they pack away their belongings for the night – gradually released of their momentary stress as Ruth goes to help Molly set the table. Sirius follows her, helping, as Helena opens the doors to the dining hall, and steps out into the hall to bid a goodbye to the Aurors that weren't staying – including Snape.

"Stay safe," she wishes to them, and Snape nods his head, muttering a quiet, "You as well," before walking off, watching as Rue comes wandering down the stairs. He has to prevent himself from rolling his eyes at the inky black creature that trails behind her, but there's a grimace of a smile on his face as he sets off into the night.

"Snape was here?" Rue whispers to her mother.

"He's a part of the order," she tells her daughter, cupping her face gently, and Rue nods, before she stalks off into the dining hall, where she takes a seat across the table from William, next to Remus, smiling. The seat opposite of them is reserved for Helena, who sinks into her seat and smiles lovingly at her partner and daughter.