Chapter 28: Leap of Faith

~Solayne's POV~

As I stood in the cold, wrapping my arms around myself to conserve what little warmth I had left, I gazed out at the devastation before me. The fire that had ravaged my apartment complex was finally under control, but the damage was done. Yellow tape surrounded the entire area, reminding me of what was once mine.

They had managed to save a few belongings from my apartment, but it wasn't much. The fire had left nothing but ashes. I felt a sense of loss and despair wash over me as I realized that most of everything I owned was gone.

Arzhel stands nearby, talking to one of my neighbors. His hand is stuck in his pocket, a gesture that seem almost casual, but I knew him well enough to recognize the tension in his body. When he turned to look at me, our eyes met, and I felt a flutter in my chest. I quickly look away, not wanting to get caught up in the emotions that always seemed to swirl between us.

I began to walk towards my car, trying to escape him, but he called out after me, his voice low and husky.

"Solayne!" he calls, his tone commanding me to stop.

I turned to face him. "Are you okay?" he asked, his eyes scanning my body as if searching for any sign of injury. When his gaze met mine, I felt a jolt of electricity run through me.

"Come stay with me tonight," he adds, his words not a question, but a statement. It was as if he assumed I would agree, that I had no other options.

I sighed, feeling a sense of frustration. "I was going to stay with a friend," I replied, trying to assert my independence.

But Arzhel didn't ask, didn't offer alternatives. He simply stated, "I want you to stay with me."

I raised an eyebrow, feeling a sense of wariness. "So you can throw me out again?" I asked, my voice trembling slightly.

Arzhel's expression was blank, but I knew him well enough to recognize the hint of frustration in his eyes, I would be too.

"Haven't we been over that already?" he sighed clearly having enough of me and that statement. "You know what, if you want to stay with your friend, that's fine. Do what makes you feel comfortable."

He turned to walk away, leaving me feeling confused and uncertain. But as I watched him go, something inside me shifted. I was tired, devastated, and had nowhere else to turn. I was now unemployed and homeless, thanks to the fire and that idiot.

"I want to stay with you," I said, my voice loud enough for him to hear. 

Arzhel stopped, his head tilting slightly to the side. He hummed, a low sound that seemed to vibrate through the air. Then he continued walking, leaving me standing still in spot. 

I roll my eyes, feeling a sense of exasperation, turning to my car, I got in waiting for him to finish. With everything that occurred throughout today,I couldn't help but wonder what the night ahead would bring.

~*~

I waited almost two hours for Arzhel to finish his tasks before we headed to his home. As I drive behind his BMW one of his many owned cars, I struggled to stay awake, fighting off the exhaustion that threaten to consume me. I couldn't believe that I had lost my apartment due to someone's careless mistake. Who leaves a hot iron unattended?  Now, I am essentially homeless.

As I pulled into his driveway, finding a parking spot, stepping out, I gather whatever I had in my car in one hand. Hissing in frustration, tomorrow, I would return to recover what was left. Stepping back, I bumped into something hard, and my heart quickened as I realized it was Arzhel's body, radiating heat. I froze, and his hands gripped my waist, straightening my back. He reached around me, grabbing two items, and I step aside, giving him space to retrieve the clothes I usually travel with incase of emergency.