Chapter 34: Tiny hands

Solayne's POV

My heart sank as I rolled over, realizing he wasn't beside me. Again. I woke up to an empty bed.

'Does this man ever sleeps?' Sighing, I get up, slipping on the nearest nightwear cover up and head out of his room.

The door across from his is cracked open, drawing my attention. Looking around, I peek inside, and my smile returns.

A nursery reveals itself, with Nerissa wide awake and playing with her tiny foot in her crib

A nursery reveals itself, with Nerissa wide awake and playing with her tiny foot in her crib. Her innocence and joy captivated my attention and for a minute I just stood and watched her.

Sometimes I forget he is a parent, but moments like these reminded me of his vulnerability and capacity for love despite how he may act most of the times.

Taking a step inside, I kneel beside her crib. Her eyes locked onto mine, and I couldn't help but gush, "Hi!"

Reaching for her, she cooed and made adorable attempts to speak, though no words emerged. Lifting her from the crib, her tangled bed hair scattered, and I chuckled, "Someone needs a hairdo." Ruffling her full head of curls, her huge eyes stared up at me, silent and captivating.

As we descended the stairs, Arzhel came into view, laptop open in the living room. "I thought you left already," I said, walking over to him. He looks up, his gaze meeting mine, filled with a soft, morning warmth.

"And leave her unattended?" he asks, nodding toward Nerissa who's wiggling in my arms. "I'm working from home today," he explains, typing away on his laptop. "We will leave soon, though," he adds.

I raise an eyebrow at the word "we," taking a seat beside him with Nerissa in my lap. His phone catches my attention, its camera viewing her nursery.

'Oh, he was watching her' I noticed diverting my attention back to him.

"Nerissa and I," he clarifies, sparing me a glance. "I have a meeting, so I'm taking her with me," he states matter of factly.

I look at him, surprised by the inclusion.

'Do people even know he has a kid?' I wonder, observing Nerissa's adorable antics as she creeps across the floor. She's been remarkably calm since she got here, she hardly fusses and prefers playing independently, only on a few occasions she seeks her dad's attention.

"I could watch her for you," I offer. His typing halts and he turns to me.

"I couldn't ask you to do that," he says, his expression hesitant.

I pull back, intrigued. "Why not?"

"Don't you have things to do today?" he asks, eyes narrowing.

I mentally scan my schedule: Jasper's at work, Myra's probably packing, and I'm still awaiting responses from potential employers.

"No, I don't have anything to do," I admit.