three

Trigger Warning - Sexual Assault

Ignoring the rumbling in my stomach, I grab my bag and make my way over to the window. I tested it earlier and thankfully it's not bolted shut or anything. Ms Hilary hasn't come to see me since the beating this morning. In fact, nobody's come to see me. For all they know I could be dead. Ha, if only.

It's finally dark outside, I'm not sure what time it is but I don't hesitate in pushing the window up and quickly sticking my head out, checking that it's clear. Throwing my bag out the window first, I then push my weak body up and out too, landing on my bag. One thing I'm thankful for is that my bedroom is on the ground floor, it makes it a hell of a lot easier to escape.

I quickly feel for the birthday present my mom gave me, checking that I didn't crush it when I fell. I still haven't opened it. I feel like if I open it it'll make everything that's happening right now seem too real. I guess I'm secretly hoping that all of this is a horrible dream and that I'll wake up soon.

Gathering my bag and flinging it over my shoulder, I start running. I don't know where I'm running to but I don't stop, and I definitely don't look back. I don't want to risk looking back and it slowing me down. I know my adrenaline will soon subside and it'll be a lot harder to keep up my pace, but right now I have more energy than ever before.

I start to switch to a light jog once I think I'm far enough away from the care home. Glancing at my surroundings, I can spot a gas station along with a long road. I don't know what the road is called, but maybe I could steal a bottle of water or something from the gas station. Thanks to the fact that I'd been locked in my room all day, I never had a chance to grab any food or drink to take with me and I'm so thirsty. The hunger pains are starting to disappear. I think I've reached the point of hunger where I'm so unbelievably hungry that my body can't feel it anymore.

I slowly walk into the gas station and notice it's basically empty. Damn, this only makes it harder to get away with taking something. I try and not look suspicious and steal some quick glances at the cashier who seems too invested in his phone to care what I'm doing. Turning my head towards the row of bottles sitting on one of the shelves, I quickly grab one and shove it inside my jumper, trying to disguise it.

"Run" I tell myself.

Making my way to the door, I manage to get one foot outside before a heavy hand lands on my shoulder, and I instantly freeze.

"Where do you think you're going kid?" the cashier asks me as I continue to keep my gaze ahead of me.

"No wh-here" I stutter and mentally face palm at my pathetic excuse of a lie.

"I don't think so, what's that in your jumper?" he asks, turning my body round to face him.

I look down at my jumper before lifting my head up, avoiding his eyes.

"It's my arm?" I ask, attempting to sound like a smart ass. Probably not the best situation for that.

"I don't think so. I'm gonna have to call the police"

No. The police means being arrested and being arrested means they'll contact Ms Hilary. She'll beat me; I can't go back to her. My eyes instantly start to water and I find myself begging and pleading for the cashier to forgive me.

"No please I'm sorry! I'll put it back. I'm sorry I'm just so thirsty and I can't have them take me back there. Please don't call them"

My sniffles are replaced with a full blown breakdown as I hear the cashier say that they're already on their way. I'm so screwed. I may as well walk in front of the traffic outside the gas station. I'm as good as dead anyway.