twenty one

"Okay, so I'll bring Nova up here and tell her while you tell everyone else. Right?" I ask Wilmer while brushing the last of the tugs from my hair.

We decided late last night that it would be better if I told Nova alone about our engagement. After all, it's always been her and I, and I don't want her feeling overwhelmed by everyone else when I let her know.

"Yeah baby, I think that's the best thing, and then you guys can come down and join us and we'll tell them the even bigger news" Wilmer replies, smiling at me as I look at him through the reflection in the mirror.

Wilmer received a phone call this morning that it's 100% possible for the both of us to get custody of Nova. I cried when he told me. It's as if my heart's overflowing with all of this amazing stuff that's happening to me. I can't quite believe it. I'm not used to things going well for me, but now I'm finally going to have the family I've longed for.

"I can't wait to see her reaction" I giggle before reaching for Wilmer's hand, "now lets go and tell everyone!"

Walking down to meet everyone, it's hard to ignore the somersaults happening in my stomach. I feel Wilmer squeeze my hand a little, and I look up to meet his gaze. He's telling me that it'll be okay, and to stop worrying. It's as if we have this silent connection where we know when something is wrong, and what the other person is saying. I smile back at him, giggling a little when he kisses the back of my hand.

"Hey guys" Wilmer says as we walk into the kitchen to find everyone already around the table, eating breakfast.

"Hey lovebirds" Maddie replies, causing us to giggle and myself to blush.

I feel Wilmer nudge my shoulder a little, telling me to start. Taking a deep breath in and out, I look directly at Nova.

"Nova baby girl, can you come with me a second? I need to tell you something" I say before sending her a reassuring smile since she currently looks like she's about to get into trouble. "It's nothing bad baby, I promise" I giggle before holding my hand out for her to take.

I take one final look at Wilmer as he gives me a small nod, telling me he's got it from here. I nod back before turning my attention back to Nova as we make our way upstairs.

"I didn't do something wrong, did I Demi?" Nova asks after climbing on top of my bed. I take her hand in mine while sitting beside her, shaking my head.

"Not at all, I just have something I want to tell you, and I wanted it to be just us" I reply before pulling her into my side.

"Okay, first off I need to tell you how proud I am of you. You've been so strong, especially over the last couple months with the gang raid and then my.. problems. You've been so brave baby.." I say softly, trying not to cry. I still hate thinking about everything she's witnessed. Shaking my head, I try and clear my thoughts before continuing.

"Nova.." I say, and look down at her as she stares at me with those big brown eyes. "You know how Wilmer and I are together?" I ask, and she timidly nods her head, her eyes shifting from her hands to mine. "Well, we're getting married. We're going to be a family"

I sit for what feels like hours, waiting and waiting for the reaction I was hoping to get from her, but it never comes. Instead, her hands wriggle out of mine and she jumps off the bed, tears streaming down her face.

"Nova, what's the matter?" I ask, my heart breaking as I watch her furiously wipe away her tears.

"So that's it? You're gonna be a family? And what happens to me Demi?!" she yells, and I'm speechless. I'm confused. What does she mean?