13.

"o-oh i'm sorry, was i not supposed to call your mother?" the nurse asked as she looked down at me.

"no. you weren't." i replied coldly.

the woman who abandoned me was now coming to my rescue.

lucky me.

"do you know where my phone is?" i asked softly as i looked at the desk.

"yes, we have it behind the desk. let me go grab that for you." the nurse spoke quickly before heading off to go to grab my phone.

i sat there silently and waited.

the nurse came back in and handed me my phone.

"can you page dr. luke hemmings? he's my dad and primary cardiologist." i spoke softly.

"i'm sorry sweetie, there's no doctor by the name of dr. hemmings here. i can page our cardiologist if you would like?" the nurse spoke with a questioning look.

"no no, it's fine. what hospital am i at?" i asked.

"mercy west." she replied.

i nodded and opened my phone to call dad.

i didn't know if i wanted to call dad.

i decided to call michael.

he probably wasn't mad at me.

i felt tears enter my eyes when i heard his voice.

"m-mickey." i whispered softly into the phone.

"hey sweet stuff, what's wrong?" he asked.

"i'm at mercy west. my heart gave out on me again. dad and i got into an argument and i think he hates me now. they called my mom because dad didn't answer and she's co- "woah, okay. i'm coming, hold on." michael spoke. i heard him stand up in his chair and grab his keys.

i was such a fuck up.

suddenly the door opened and in came a woman  with brown hair and blue eyes.

my mom.

"get out." i spoke simply as i pointed at the door.

a man came behind her.

he had brown hair and green eyes. he looked like a dick.

"don't speak to your mother that way." the man spoke coldly as he glared at me.

"who the hell are you? get the hell out!" i yelled as i pointed towards the door.

the man came up to me and bent down to my level.

"you shout like that again, you're going to be in serious trouble young lady." he spoke coldly.

i tried to turn my face away to avoid his stare, but he grabbed my chin to force me to look at him.

i felt my heart in my throat as we sat there in silence staring at one another.

for the first time in forever, i felt scared.

i nodded slowly and sat back.

michael came running through the door to see the mystery man and my mom standing there.

i looked down at my hands with tears flooding my eyes.

"i don't think you're authorized to be in here." the man spoke towards michael.

"nice to see you too mandy." michael spoke coldly as he sat by my side.

"this is my new husband cole." she muttered as she pointed towards him.

i kept my eyes towards the ground.

"look at her when she's speaking." cole spoke towards me.

i immediately looked up shocking michael with the amount of emotion behind my eyes.

suddenly, dad came barging into the room with a panicked look on his face.

"oh now we're talking." cole chuckled making dad freeze.

"why are you here?" dad asked as he looked at mandy.

"the hospital called. i'm here for my daughter luke." mandy spoke firmly.

"what are you talking about? you don't have custody over her." dad spoke firmly.

"i'm taking you to court for partial custody." mandy spoke quickly.

my head quickly shot up and i looked over at dad.

"please don't."