NEW EXPERIENCE

Life is full of first times and new experiences. No matter what you do or have done, there was a first time, right? There was a time you thought of whatever you do now as something new and unfamiliar. We all go through that phase. Be it high school, extracurricular activities, moving to a different place, whatever it is, there is always going to be something new the first time you do it.

"Work." Yes, work. I worked for the first time in my life and earned my own money. It was nothing big, just a part-time job in a shopping mall for starters. It took me only a week to find and get this job. Now I take it for granted, but my first payday? The excitement made me rush to the ATM as soon as it hit 8 am. I checked my balance and there it was, 45,000 yen. The money I earned in two weeks was all in my newly made bank account. Getting paid every month for four years straight can make you forget that special feeling, but I will always try to remember and cherish that moment of my first payday.

I remember buying a bouquet of flowers for my mom while giggling and telling the shop owner that it was my first payday. Looking back, I feel embarrassed, but it made my day extra special.However, I don't know about other people, but I know that for most people, getting paid doesn't always mean sunshine and rainbows. It requires responsibilities. Your parents aren't going to support you the way they used to before. The things that used to be normal for you will gradually change. There will be several payments you have to make, like taxes, phone bills, and maybe even a pension. You might have to give some money to your parents for allowing you to stay with them. You learn to manage your money and build a budget whether you like it or not. You will also learn to be broke sometimes. These are all new and significant experiences we all need as we slowly come out of our teenage life.

No matter how affluent you may be or even if your parents have the biggest businesses in the world, I personally think that working and earning your own money is an important experience for everyone. You might want to drop a sweat or two for the money you use on yourself or for other people. It feels so much different and actually pretty painful to spend your money most of the time, but you will learn to spend it wisely and according to your capacity.

Dear teenagers, or my fellow adults, I am also still learning to manage my money, so I am certainly nobody to be giving advice. I am only here to spill some tea about my teenage life. Along the way, you will also come across situations where you have to work for what you want or need. I remember being 14 and walking with my mom in a shopping mall, asking her about the first day she got her salary. Nine years later, I was walking down the same mall with her, talking about how time flew and how I now take the opportunity to work for granted.

Readers, whether you are currently working or studying, take it one step at a time. There is no need to rush, and most importantly, no need to compare your life to other people's. I don't know why this chapter is looking like a motivational speech, but I mean everything I write her. Most times, it is more like I am talking to myself. I will tell you why I am emphasizing this last paragraph in the next chapter. 

For the meantime, please stay connected, sit back, relax, and enjoy my cup of teen tea.