Aisha's story

Y/n's POV

"Ah, this feels nice." I let out a sigh of exhaustion and relief as I sank into the warm water, the scent of lavender and chamomile enveloping me like a warm hug. The soft light of the lanterns around us illuminated the chamber, reflecting off the water in the large stone tub.

Aisha approached with a soft cloth, dipping it into the water before beginning to wash my back. "I am sure it does." The motions of her hand were soothing against my skin, easing the lingering aches from my sore body.

I closed my eyes for a moment, appreciating the silence as Aisha continued her work, the rhythmic yet gentle motion of the cloth on my back lulling me into a state of deeper relaxation. After a few moments, she spoke again, her tone more conversational.

"You know, his majesty was very worried about you."

I opened my eyes, turning around to look at her through the steam. "Was he?"

Aisha nodded, her expression sincere. "He sat by your side to watch over you for hours, my lady. He hardly left the room while you were sleeping."

I felt a flutter in my chest at her words, a small smile spreading across my face as I recalled the moment once again. "I was surprised to see him sitting next to me when I woke up."

"Yes," Aisha confirmed, moving to wash my arms. "He was constantly asking about your condition and ordering us to make sure you were comfortable. I've never seen him like that before."

I shook my head slightly, trying to process her words. "He was probably confused that a stranger fell asleep in his bed."

Aisha smiled knowingly, wringing out the cloth before gently scrubbing my arm. "You are no stranger."

"Yes, but...I kind of am." I smiled shyly. "I mean, it wasn't appropriate for me to be there in the first place. He was just too kind to refuse me."

She tilted her head to the side. "Perhaps. But I've served in this palace for many years, my lady. I've seen how he interacts with others. There's something different about the way he looks at you."

I frowned, a hint of skepticism creeping into my voice. "Different how?"

Aisha paused, considering her words carefully. "He's softer around you. More attentive. It's as if he's genuinely worried about you, not just as a member of his court, but as a person he cares about deeply."

I felt a blush rise to my cheeks, a mixture of disbelief and hope swirling within me. "Do you think so?"

Aisha nodded, her eyes warm with understanding. "I do. And I believe..." she paused, shaking her head. "No, I shouldn't say it."

"Say it," I pressed eagerly, my heart throbbing in my chest in anticipation.

"It's not my place to assume anything but...I believe he likes you more than you realize."

I stared at her, stunned by her words. The idea that Baldwin, the king, could harbor feelings for me seemed almost too much to comprehend. It was ridiculous. "I...I don't know what to say." I shook my head.

Aisha chuckled softly, her touch gentle as she rinsed my skin. "You don't have to say anything, my lady. Just think about it."

"I thought you were jesting in the corridor when you said all those things you said..." my voice trailed off. "Did you mean them?"

She shrugged it off. "They don't have to mean anything."

I remained silent, my mind racing with the possibilities. I knew it couldn't have been just me that felt it.