a man in need of comfort

Y/n's POV

It was late at night when Aisha's deft hands worked through my hair, gently untangling the knots and smoothing it, hairbrush in one hand, strands of my hair in another. Outside, the night was still, the only sound being the faint rustle of the wind as the trees swayed, but inside, it had never been more alive.

"Wallahi, I don't believe it, my lady." Aisha exclaimed, her tone a mix of disbelief and curiosity. "He just announced it? Out of the blue?"

"Yes," I replied, the words still feeling strange on my tongue. "I couldn't believe my ears."

She looked at me through the reflection in the small mirror. "What did you do?"

"Nothing," I shrugged, a wry smile tugging at the corners of my lips. "I just sat there and watched them fight." I hesitated, then added, "Well, not really fight. But they weren't exactly happy to hear the news, you see."

"My..." she shook her head, her brows raised. "But that's really inconsiderate of the king, don't tell him I said that," she added quickly before continuing. "He should've made you leave first so you wouldn't have had to hear all that."

I gestured in agreement, my fingers playing with the edge of the quilt draped over my lap. "Not to mention, I had no idea myself."

Aisha let out an exasperated sigh, her movements growing more vigorous as she repeatedly brushed the same section of my hair. "See, that's really inconsiderate too! Might as well tell you in front of the altar on the wedding day."

I laughed softly, shaking my head at the thought. "Oh, but he was so sweet after..."

"Ya Allah, already smitten," she smiled, a teasing glint in her eyes. "Do tell me about it."

"Well..." I began, feeling a warmth creep up my cheeks at the memory. "He stammered, but it was adorable." The smile on my face grew wider as I lowered my gaze, "He took my hand, apologized a thousand times... or twice, I think," I laughed again, the sound bubbling up from deep within me. "It could be thrice, too."

"And?" Aisha prompted, her eyes sparkling with interest as she leaned closer, hanging on to my every word.

"And then he knelt," I said, my voice dropping to a whisper as I relived the moment. "God, I still can't believe it," I added, hiding my face behind my hands, my heart fluttering as I kicked my feet in a mix of excitement and disbelief.

"Neither can I..." Aisha murmured, her own amazement mirrored in her wide smile.

"He asked me to marry him, Aisha." I turned to her abruptly, my breath catching in my throat. "Me!" I exclaimed, pointing at myself. "And he said if I didn't want to, he would just cancel everything. No consequences on my behalf."

Aisha's expression softened, her hands resting gently on my shoulders. "Well, that makes up for it, I suppose."

"Yes." I leaned back, my eyes distant, the memory of his earnestness, the vulnerability in his voice, still fresh in my mind. "Oh, how could I say no..."

"I'm glad you decided to listen to your heart, my lady," she said, the corners of her lips curling up in a warm smile.

I nodded mindlessly before I paused, searching her eyes through the mirror. "You saw it coming, didn't you?"

"This? No," she admitted with a small shake of her head, picking up the brush again. "I knew there would be something between you and his majesty, but I didn't think it would be marriage."

I fought back the smile creeping up on my face upon hearing the word 'marriage'. I grabbed a loose strand of my hair, playing with its ends as I pondered over. "Do you think I did the right thing? Saying yes?" I asked, the tentative smile on my face disappearing slowly. "I mean, he's a leper..."