12: Riddles and Dad Jokes

.𖥔 ݁ ˖ 

In the evening, as the sun was setting, Cosette and I found an empty self-study room and sat across from each other with a desk in between

Her intense stare was quite burdensome.

“…I don’t understand why you’re willing to pay a price just to learn the answers to three placement exam questions.”

“There’s a reason. You just have to tell me.”

Oh, sure. Whatever you say.

“But you only got these three questions wrong? Smart. I got all the other questions wrong. Aren’t you embarrassed to ask me?”

I was ranked 1,141st in our year, while she was a shining elite, ranked 5th.

“I’m not embarrassed. It’s more shameful to have gotten the questions wrong and still not know the answers. If I can find the answers, I’ll ask anyone.”

Wow… That’s a very model student-like answer.

But it also feels like she’s looking down on me…

“Alright, let’s take a look.”

I put on the Cryptic Glasses and reviewed the questions again.

Indeed, it was an absurd set of questions.

Seriously. Putting nonsensical quiz-like questions in a magic exam.

‘Can I explain this properly?’

I agreed to this because of the offer, but I wasn’t sure if I could pull it off.

It’s tricky. These questions are literally designed to test creative thinking, making them very difficult to teach.

How do I explain this?’

But since we were already here, backing out would probably result in Cosette harassing me until graduation. That would be quite dreadful.

Besides, I didn’t want to give up the chance to have Fontaine modified as a reward.

I needed to think of something. To buy some time, I asked her a random question.

“Before I explain, can I ask why you picked me to teach you this?”

It’s not like she doesn’t have any friends. As a princess, surely there are many who would answer her questions.

She twisted her hair for a moment, then decided it wasn’t a big deal and spoke openly.

“Out of 1,141 freshmen, only three students, including you, solved the ‘Three Demonic Questions.'”

“…Huh?”

What does that mean?

“I heard they were ‘trap questions’ meant to be left unsolved. But you, Deon Ambrose, and Lyra Perkins solved them. So, it’s become a bit of a headache for me.”