56: Professor vs. Assistant

.𖥔 ݁ ˖

Hattie waited calmly

Hattie waited calmly. She waited until all the alchemists in the room understood and accepted her words.

Finally, the silence was broken by a famous university professor.

"Young lady, you do know where you are, right? Do you even understand the weight of what you're saying? Such a topic isn't to be taken lightly as a joke. We do apologize for our blatant ignorance of your presence, but no matter how much you wanted our attention, there is a limit to your unprofessional jokes!"

He wasn't entirely wrong, it's quite unprofessional for a researcher to do such a thing... if Hattie was indeed just trying to draw attention.

As people started to agree, Hattie's face broke into a smile.

"I understand, Professor. And I do know exactly what this place is, an extraordinary and significant place for someone like me to stand. I know as well that this topic isn't to be taken lightly. That's why I have no intention of joking. I don't want to waste this precious opportunity."

"Then, how do you expect us to take your words?"

"Please understand them like an alchemist would."

These were people who believed that every phenomenon in this world could be scientifically proven. They needed to analyze, dig into, and interpret the existence before them, compelled to uncover the 'truth.'

That, is what alchemists are.

"But... the Delta Augmentation Technique doesn't make sense. In principle, magitech and alchemy are structured in such a way that they cannot intertwine!"

"Indeed. Many brilliant alchemists born centuries before you have all failed to solve the Delta Augmentation Technique! It's quite literally absurd for such a young, unknown first-timer to have solved a formula that many famous alchemists failed to do!"

"It's been over a hundred years since it was declared impossible to solve. What's all this fuss about now...?"

Faced with all these negative reactions, Hattie did not get discouraged. Instead, she felt excited.

Even the senior alchemists, who seemed like towering mountains, the sky, clouds, and sun, were all saying it was impossible. The thought of proving them wrong here made her entire body tingle with anticipation.

Then,

Noruck Zirconia, recognizing her ecstatic expression, smirked and said.

"Everyone, quiet!"

At his single word, the room instantly fell silent.

"Just because there have been many failures prior, you dare call yourselves alchemists after declaring something impossible?!"

He was pointing out a flaw in the current alchemy academic world. They believed that there was always a truth to be found, yet they barely touched known concepts, dismissing anything deemed impossible.