21: Jealousy, Jealousy

.𖥔 ݁ ˖ 

After the practice ended, I had a one-on-one meeting with Instructor Donovan in the Second Tower

Receiving the promised reward, I was asked a question by him.

"Why don’t you use other magic?"

At that question, I thought the time had come.

There was no storyline in the game explaining why Val didn’t use magic. The character had almost no dedicated story and was just a presence-less extra blended into Astraea Academy.

But reality is different. Every action I take is bound to draw someone’s attention, and I can’t keep making excuses indefinitely.

Therefore, the answer to Donovan’s question had to be straightforward; "I can’t use magic."

A student at a magic school who can’t use magic? That’s absurd. The label ‘a mage who can’t use magic’ would be a huge penalty for my academic life, career, and future in society.

In the worst-case scenario, I could be expelled. This isn’t a game, so I can’t just gloss over it.

However, seeing me momentarily troubled, Donovan stopped me from answering.

"Don’t worry. We respect your conviction. However, you have chosen a tough path ahead. While I respect it, I’m also concerned for you."

"…Pardon?"

Before I could fully understand, Donovan acknowledged everything and encouraged me to continue striving, then sent me off.

I wasn’t sure, but it seemed like a positive outcome. After all, the fact that I can’t use magic could’ve led to expulsion, but having a mage as prominent as Blackwood acknowledge me meant I wouldn’t face major problems for a while.

Later, I met Cosette on the way out and received the long-awaited item.

The magic sword, Fontaine Sword.

“Look at that shine.”

It wasn’t flashy, but it had a hidden elegance in its simplicity. That was the description of Fontaine in the game.

In reality, it’s quite beautiful. A 20 centimeter silver sword with a transparent but multicolored gem at the end, which changes color according to the attribute used.

In my case, having no attribute, the gem remained unchanged even when held.

“As expected, it’s in the form of an Unseen Sword. This is quite rare to acquire.”

Helping the princess paid off. Even if my family pooled all their income, they could never have acquired a magic sword of this caliber.

With this, I felt somewhat reassured about the next episode.