Chapter 2.

Paris, 1832

"Papa!" Christine called out as she closed the door behind her, walking further into the small house.

She heard a soft mumble come from her father's craft room and the faint sound of a familiar tune playing.

The girl followed the sound and found her father making a music box. It looked exactly the same as the one she lost in her last home. The man sat at the table hadn't changed much. The only difference was his hair had turned grey instead of the original dark brown it was in his youth.

Christine slowly entered that craft room and placed a kiss on her father's cheek.

"Hello, my dear. Did you have a safe trip?" The older man asked, briefly glancing up at his daughter before returning his gaze to the music box.

"Yes. I even stopped at the bookstore to buy something new with the money I had left over." The girl told him, leaving out the part about the mysterious boy, Enjolras that she met.

"That's great." Her father said adding the finishing touches of the music box. He placed it on the table and wound it up.

The box let out a beautiful tune that cause the girl to gasp.

"Oh, Papa! It's mother's song!" She picked the music box up and admired it, smiling.

"I thought I would make it so that this way, her song most certainly will not die." He told his daughter.

She placed it on the mantle piece by a photo of her mother and hugged her father tightly.

Her father looked fondly at the picture and smiled sadly, he missed her dearly, but he had his Christine and she was enough to keep her spirit alive.

"You remind me of her." He said to his daughter, the faint hint of tears in his eyes, "She had such a wild personality and was never afraid to speak her mind. You've grown up well, my dear."

The girl smiled and glanced to the clock which sat in the corner of the room.

"Oh my! Papa, you're going to be late!" She rushed to help her father gather his things for the trip.

Her father was going out of town for a couple of days to visit some old friends, leaving the girl alone to look after herself.

"My dear, take care of yourself and don't do anything dangerous." He said, kissing her on the cheek.

"I won't, papa. Have a safe journey." And with that, he left.

The girl resigned to the living room room, picking up her book, and she must have spent a good few hours reading before a knock sounded at the door.

With confusion evident in her eyes, Christine grabbed one of the candle sticks that lay around her house and cautiously walked over to the door. She placed the candlestick on a small table by the door and opened it carefully.

However, she sighed with disappointment when she saw a young man stood at her door. She was relieved it wasn't some random person, but she wasn't happy to see Gaston.

Gaston had been trying to marry Christine for over a year now and it was clear he couldn't take a hint. She was getting sick of his antics but here he was again, to ask for her hand, again.