Chapter 13.

Early in the morning, Christine awoke to Gravroche's soft voice.

Gavroche:
Days in the sun
When my life has barely begun
Not until my whole life is done
Will I ever leave you.

Marius (with cossette):
Will I tremble again
To my dear one's gorgeous refrain?
Will you now forever remain
Out of reach of my arms

Enjolras:
All those days in the sun
What I'd give to relive just one
Undo what's done
And bring the light

Cossette:
Oh, I could sing
Of the pain these dark day bring
The spell were under
Still it's the wonder of us I sing of tonight

Christine:
How in the midst of all this sorrow
Can so much hope and love endure?
I was innocent and certain
Now I'm wiser but unsure

I can't go back into my childhood
On that my father made secure
I can feel a change in me
I'm stronger, but I'm still not free

All:
Days in the sun will return
We must believe
As lovers do
That days in the sun will come shining through

One of the Les Amis whistled, attracting the attention of Enjolras who climbed the barricade.

"Enjolras, the rain has damaged the gunpowder." Marius informed his friend, "We're low on ammunition."

"We're the only barricade left." Enjolras stepped over the furniture.

"What?" Marius asked and the old man turned to listen.

"We're the only ones left." The leader confirmed. "The people have not stirred. We're abandoned by those who still live in fear. Let us not waste our lives. Let all who wish to, go from here."

Gavroche:
Do you hear the people sing?
Singing the song of angry men?

Gavroche + Christine:
It is the music of the people who will not be slaves again

All:
When the beating of your heart
Echoes the beating of the drum
There is a life about to start when tomorrow comes

Everyone started getting ready to fight. When Christine noticed Gravoche was not beside her, she panicked.

"Gavroche?" She called out but one of the Les Amis had found him.

"Gavroche?" He whispered.

The boy had snuck out the barricade, collecting valuables from the dead soldiers that lay on their barricade.

It all happened so fast, a shot fired and missed, but the second one didn't. Bang, Gavroche was wounded. Another one and he was dead.

Courfeyrac grabbed the boy, bringing him in as Enjolras and Marius stood guard.

As soon as the boy's body had returned, Christine grabbed him, holding the limp boy in her arms.

She cried. Like, she seriously cried. Gavroche was like family to her, and now both him and Éponine had both passed, it felt real.

They could all die tonight.

"You at the barricades, listen to this!" A voice called but Christine ignored the army.

She sat opposite Courfeyrac as he sobbed, but she no longer cried. It's like she couldn't. She was in a state of shock, and joining noticing this, the old man passed the boy back to Courfeyrac and held the girl, the way her father did when her mother passed.

The old man carried Gavroche to where Éponine and other bodies lay. As he did so, the other revolutionaries raised their weapons, ready to fight.

And so the battle began.

"Cannons!" The army officer shouted to his troops and the blows started.

"Fire!" Enjolras screamed and everyone shot their guns, firing at the troops.

Christine grabbed one of the rifles which lay on the floor and joined the boys on the barricade.

She shot with them. They kept going but the old man came back and requested her help. He couldn't see her die on the barricade so he made her help him carry the bodies inside.

The more shots, the more the bodies piled up.

The army began advancing and soon, the Les Amis began running for cover.

They attempted to barricade the door to the Musain.

Before long, only four were left, Christine, Enjolras, Joly and Courfeyrac.

Just when the noise died down, shots fired through the ceiling downstairs and shot up at the four. Joly and Courf fell dead as the army ascended the stairs.

Enjolras stood, Christine in one arm and the red flag in the other.

Suddenly, a drunken Grantaire stumbled up the stairs. He joined the couples side, proud to serve beside them.

Enjolras lifted the flag with honour, and the army shot.

The shots fired, the revolutionaries fell.

Grantaire tumbled to the ground as Enjolras and Christine fell backwards out the window. Christine's dead body lay on top of her lover as their hands remained intertwined.

Forever they shall live in heaven, together with their friends, no more pain, no more suffering, just them.

They died together. They died for their country. They died for their love.

Remember them, that's all I ask of you.