Chapter 6.

Paris, 1832

Although they both knew they loved each other, neither Enjolras or Christine said anything.

It had been a few weeks now since the two of them had let their feelings overtake them again, and the rest of the Les Amis were starting to get annoyed with the two for not confessing to each other.

The two were walking down and unknown, yet familiar, street towards the Musain.

Enjolras had offered to walk Christine there in hopes of saying something about his feelings.

He was about to say something but was cut off when the girl had suddenly come to a halt and gasped.

"Christine? What's wrong?" He asked, concern laced in his voice.

She didn't answer. He watched as she ran into the crumbling building that stood in front of her.

"Christine? Christine, come back!" Enjolras called as he ran after her.

"Christine, are you okay?" The boy asked as she examined the dark attic.

She picked up a small music box, one that played her mother's song, just like the replica her father made. It had gotten lost in the fire and somehow it had survived.

Christine:
This is the Paris of my childhood
These were the borders of my life
In this crumbling, dusty attic
Where an artist loved his wife

Easy to remember harder to move on
Knowing the Paris of my childhood is gone.

Christine sat on her knees, tears falling from her eyes. Enjolras didn't know what to say, so her just lowered himself to wrap his strong, comforting arms around her.

Enjolras:
No more talk of darkness
Forget these wide-eyed fears
I'm here, nothing can harm you
My words will warm and calm you

Let me be your freedom
Let daylight dry your tears
I'm here, with you, beside you
To guard you and to guide you

Christine:
Say you love me every waking moment
Turn my head with talk of summertime
Say you need me with you now and always
Promise me that all you say is true
That's all I ask of you

Enjolras:
Let me be your shelter
Let me be your light
You're safe, no one will find you
Your fears are far behind you

Christine:
All I want is freedom
A world with no more night
And you, always beside me
To hold me and to hide me

Enjolras:
Then say you'll share with me one love, one lifetime
Let me lead you from your solitude
Say you need me with you, now and always
Anywhere you go, let me go too
Christine, that's all I ask of you

Christine:
Say you'll share with me one love, one lifetime
Say the word and I will follow you

Both:
Share each day with me
Each night, each morning

Christine:
Say you love me

Enjolras:
You know I do

Both:
Love me, that's all I ask of you.

Enjolras grabs Christine by the waist and kisses her passionately. One that is filled with both lust and love. The kiss was almost to makeup for all those years they didn't find each other sooner.

Both:
Anywhere you go, let me go too
Love me, that's all I ask of you

Unbeknownst to the knew couple, they were watched through the window.

A man stood across the street, his emotions seething with jealousy.

That girl was meant to be his.

He tried to marry her and failed but he didn't want to give up. And now that a new man had shown up and swept her away in a couple of months, he was filled with rage.

That girl was his and he was going to do anything in his power to make sure of that.

Gaston marched through the streets and back to the little village where he lived.

He went straight to Christine's house where he banged, violently on the door. It was swung open to reveal Christine's father.

"May I help you Gaston?" The man asked, unamused by his company.

"I am to marry your daughter and you will obey my command." The raging man said firmly, but he was quickly made a fool of when the man slammed the door in his face.

The blanket of darkness overtook the village as Christine and Enjolras walked, arm in arm, towards her small house.

Christine's laughter echoed through the small, empty street as her lover watched her, adoringly.

Once they reached the little house, Enjolras kissed the woman goodnight and she entered her dark house.

She shut the door behind her and sank to the floor, sighing. She was lovestruck.

And her father could see it when he walked down the stairs, having watched the encounter from the window.

"So he finally came around to his senses then?" The man asked, startling his daughter.

"Oh, Papa! He's magical, I showed him our old attic and he kissed me. I didn't want to leave him but he said he'd be back in the morning. Oh, can he please come round tomorrow, I want you to meet him properly." She ranted to her father, who merely smiled and nodded.

"Of course, he seems like a good man. Bring him back by supper time and I'll make a stew." Her father agreed, "But for now, off to bed, little one." He kissed her on the head and she went off to bed, dreaming of Enjolras.