Chapter 5.

Paris, 1832

A few weeks in, Christine and Enjolras still weren't talking and Éponine and the boys were sick of it.

Everyone knew the two had feelings for each other but they're both too proud to admit it.

The two were both the most stubborn of the group and wouldn't let their feelings affect them, so they chose to ignore each other. Well, apart from when they argue.

Éponine and the boys decided they were going to fix that.

They all gathered in the meeting room waiting for Christine to arrive. This was perfect for their plan.

"Where is she?" Enjolras grew impatient and frustrated.

Look, Enj, go easy on her. You've been nothing but horrible to her since we started planning the revolution." Combferre said to the boy.

"I haven't been horrible to her at all." Enjolras fought back.

"Enjolras, you have! All you do is fight with her. You're too stubborn to accept you're in love. And so is she. All you do is push her away." Éponine snaps at him.

"I have not pushed her away, Éponine. And you don't know what I feel. Besides she doesn't love me. Even if I loved her, which I don't, but if I did, she wouldn't love me back." He ranted, not looking Éponine in the eye.

"Oh, Enjolras, you are so oblivious. When was the last time you spoke to her?" Grantaire asked him.

"Yesterday, actually." Enjolras sassed him.

"Oh, yeah. That's right actually, and remind me what you said to her?" He pushed him further.

"I don't remember." Enjolras refused.

"Oh come on! Yes you do."

Enjolras sighed and answered, "I called her a self-minded, stubborn nincompoop." He told Grantaire.

"Ah, yes! I think that's your personal best Enj!" Courfeyrac laughed.

"Okay, maybe I shouldn't haveve said that but I am not pushing her away." Enjolras said.

Just then, the door swung open and Christine ran in.

"You're late!" Enjolras snapped at her as she walked in.

"I know! I'm sorry, but Papa asked me to help with something." She apologised, joining everyone at the table.

Enjolras was about to say something when he saw the look on his friends' faces.

"Fine! Don't be late again." He told her and she nodded, sitting down next to Éponine.

"Good job today, everyone. See you all tomorrow. Oh, Christine could I speak with you for a moment?" She nodded and said goodbye to her friends as they left.

Soon it was just the too.

"What did you need?" She asked him, looking down, nervously, at her feet.

"Look, I'm sorry if I've been horrible to you." He apologised, "I guess, I got caught up in the revolution and didn't think about how it affected you."

"It's fine." She said, bluntly and turned to leave.

"Wait!" He called her and she stopped, "I wanted to invite you to join the revolution." He said, "You've shown great promise and I realised I was too hard on you. You deserve to be apart of this as much as everyone else. And as long as you are careful, you can join." His ramble was cut short by a soft giggle.

"Are you being serious?" When the boy nodded, she stopped laughing and looked at him, "Really? You mean it?" He nodded again and went to say something else but he was stopped by the force of Christine hitting his chest and her arms wrapping round him in a hug.

He wrapped his arms around her small waist and smiled, her body heat against his felt perfect, like she was made just for him.

From then on they vowed to remain friends and not let anything come between them again.

A week later, the pair had grown closer and it was clear to everyone, even themselves, how their feelings towards each other had grown.

They were gathered in the meeting room and every small touch or subtle glance brings butterflies to their stomachs.

The revolutionaries gathered in the meeting room, planning their attack and details.

Christine:
There's something sweet and almost kind
But he was mean and he was course and unrefined
But now he's dear, and so unsure
I wonder why I didn't see it there before.

Enjolras:
She glanced this way, I thought I saw
And when we touched she didn't shudder, not at all
No, it can't be, I'll just ignore
But then she's never looked at me that way before.

Christine tapped Enjolras on the shoulder to tell him she was stepping out for fresh air. She opened one of the widows and sat on the small balcony outside it.

Christine:
New and a bit alarming
Who'd have ever thought that this could be?
True, that he's no Prince Charming
But there's something in him that I simply didn't see

Éponine:
Well, who'd have thought?

Madame H:
Well, bless my soul

Grantaire:
Well, who'd have known?

Courfeyrac:
Well, who indeed?

Marius:
And who'd have guessed they'd come together on their own?

Éponine:
It's so peculiar

All:
We'll wait and see
A few days more
There may be something there that wasn't there before

Grantaire:
You know, perhaps there's something there that wasn't there before

Madame H:
There may be something ther
That wasn't there before

"What? What's there?" Gavroche asked, grabbing the attention of the others.

"I'll tell you when you're older." Courfeyrac looked down at their small friend.

"Okay! I'm older!" Gavroche said, puffing his chest to make himself taller.

Courfeyrac chuckled, "Oh, Gravroche!" He rustled the boys hair.