Disrupted Date

Mary nodded, “Well, yeah, I share his ideology. The only word I’m familiar with is infatuation, which most people call chemistry. I mean, that does exist,” she answered.

“Just what I thought,” Adimchi concurred.

“Wow, really, guys? I didn’t make a mistake pairing you two up. You both are the perfect match!”

Mary shrugged. “We’ll see about that.” Her phone buzzed in her purse. She reached for it on the table. “Please give me a minute to take this call,” she pleaded, and Tobi gestured for her to go ahead. “Hello, Arif. How are you doing today?” she asked in an Indian accent.

“I’m alright, where are you? It’s quite noisy,” Arif probed.

“I’m at a dinner date. I wasn’t meant to take the call, but since you’ve been a great partner, I thought it might be important. So, what can I do for you?” she continued with her Indian accent.

“Thank you. I need your help with some codes. I’m trying to test-run a website for a client, but I’m having issues with some features. I don’t know what I did wrong. I’m expected to deliver this job in two hours. Can we do a video call so I can show you the issues and perhaps we can sort it out together?”

“Oh, Arif, I’m on a date right now. I can’t just leave them like this,” Mary pouted, glancing at Tobi, who was grinning widely at her accent.

“You’re not going anywhere,” Tobi whisper-yelled, and Mary snickered.

“Please, I’m sorry to disrupt your date, but I have no other option but you. I tried my other guys, but they couldn’t fix the issue. I believe you can. I’ll give you 30% of my profit. What do you say?” Arif offered.

Mary glanced at Tobi, who was shaking his head in disapproval, and at Adimchi, who was staring at her with a glower. She exhaled. “Okay, I’ll do this for you, not because of the offer but for our partnership’s sake. Give me 30 minutes, and I’ll be home to help.”

“Wait, what?!” Tobi gasped, astounded, while Adimchi just stared silently.

“Thank you so much. I’ll be waiting for your call. Bye for now,” Arif sighed in relief.

“Alright then, talk to you later,” she said, hanging up. “I’m so sorry, guys. It’s urgent, and I couldn’t say no to him.”

“I understand you’re a programmer, but that doesn’t mean you shouldn’t have free time! How can you feel so cool leaving us in the middle of a conversation?” Tobi asked acidly.

“I know it’s wrong, but he needs my assistance. If I don’t help him, he’ll lose his deal,” she explained. “I’m really sorry, guys.”

Tobi glanced at his best friend, waiting for him to say something. “Brother?” he prompted.

Adimchi’s head snapped up. “What?”

“Mary said she’s leaving for an urgent job.”

“I heard that. You don’t have to repeat it,” Adimchi replied dryly.

“So, you’re not going to bid her farewell and ask for another meeting with her?”

“Oh, was I supposed to do that?” Adimchi’s lips curved into a slight smug.

“What do you mean? Am I supposed to teach you everything?” Tobi asked irritatingly.

“It’s fine. Let’s not prolong this,” Mary cut in, standing up. “Thank you for the wonderful dinner. I enjoyed your company. Until we meet again, take care. And I’m sorry for cutting our dinner short,” she gave an apologetic smile.