Before We Tried

Song - Jordan Rowling - Can We Fall In Love
✨✨✨

“How come you didn’t tell me your son was coming over earlier so we could prepare to receive him?” Mrs. Sandie demanded over the phone.

It took her two hours to realize she should have called her friend to find out why she hadn’t mentioned Adimchi’s visit, especially after all the effort they’d put into getting him to see his daughter.

“My son? Which of my sons?” Mrs. Aku asked.

“You’re not aware?”

“Aware of what?”

“That your son Adimchi was here. He left a couple of minutes ago.”

“Are you serious, or are you just trying to gossip?”

“Of course, I’m serious. He came unannounced this evening. We were shocked to see him.”

Mrs. Aku’s eyebrows shot up, a mix of wonder and disbelief crossing her face. “How come he never told me?”

“I have no idea. That’s why I’m calling. I thought you knew but were keeping it a secret.”

“Did he act rudely to you all?”

“Not at all. In fact, he was quite the opposite. He was calm and friendly. He requested to see the baby, and we showed him. In summary, we shared a happy moment.”

“Wow. Jamal was right,” Mrs. Aku mumbled under her breath, but not so quietly that her friend couldn’t hear.

“What did Jamal say?”

“Oh, it’s nothing serious. I’m just happy to hear such tremendous news.”

“Yes. At last, our granddaughter won’t be fatherless,” Mrs. Sandie said with a laugh.

Mrs. Aku gave a nervous laugh. “Yes, that’s right. That’s what matters most.”

“Who knows? With the child in the middle, maybe they can work out their differences and get back together.”

“Don’t think that. My son won’t get back with your daughter just because of a child.”

“Why do you say that?”

“Isn’t it obvious from his attitude? If he wanted to, he would have done so when Mary told him about the child,” Mrs. Aku sighed. “I think I’m starting to believe my son can never love any woman.”

“You’re right. I feel the same way about my daughter. I don’t think she’ll ever truly love a man. So, what do you think we should do?”

“Let’s just be happy and not have high expectations of our children. Instead, let’s focus on raising our granddaughter. That way, we won’t be disappointed.”

“You’re right. Thank you for telling me this,” Mrs. Sandie said, forcing a smile her friend couldn’t see. “I’ll leave you now. I’ll talk to you tomorrow.”

“Alright. Take care. Send my kisses to the baby.”

“She will receive them.”

“Good night.”

“Good night,” Mrs. Sandie replied and hung up.

As Mrs. Aku pondered why her son hadn’t shared his plans with her, the door swung open, revealing him. “And there he is,” she muttered under her breath.

“Hey, Mom, you’re still awake?” Adimchi asked cheerfully, walking up to her.

“Yeah. I guess the night is still young for me to go to bed now.”