Marry Me

“Hey Mom, I’m glad to see you healthy and happy,” Adimchi said to his mother a week later when he returned from his trip.

His mom smiled, “All thanks to your brothers and even your chef who took care of me.”

“I’m happy to hear that. At least I left you in good hands,” he replied, picking up a piece of cranberry from the plate on the table.

“And oh, thank you for all the things you got me; they’re all so lovely. You keep spoiling me with so many gifts.”

“You deserve it, Mom. I’ll keep doing more for you without holding back.”

“Thank you, my son. You remind me of your father. He was just like you, always spoiling me with gifts,” she said with a forced sad smile.

“Ha! I see where I got that from. My dad was my mentor in everything. I wish death hadn’t taken him away from us.”

Silence crept into the sitting room, with only the low sound from the TV breaking it. “Hey Mom, I don’t want you to start feeling sad. Can we talk about something else?”

“Yes, yes. That reminds me, there was something I was trying to tell you on the phone while you were in Miami, but you didn’t give me a listening ear.”

“Me? Really? What could that be?” He scrunched up his face.

His mom cleared her throat and sat up. “It’s about Mary, she—”

“Mom, please don’t. I’m not interested in what’s going on with that woman. We’re done with each other. What we had was temporary. I understand you like her, but please get over it already and stop mentioning her name around me. The only reason I asked you to find out something about her was that I crossed paths with her and needed to be sure it was her and not a look-alike. Aside from that, nothing would have made me utter her name.”

“Son, there is something you need to know about her,” she pressed on.

“There is nothing I want to know about her, nothing, Mom. We’ve both moved on with our lives, so please do the same. Please do me a favor and let’s drop the topic.”

His mom sighed deeply, staring at him for a moment before shrugging. “Okay, whatever you say.”

“Ah! That reminds me, today is Tobi’s engagement proposal!”

“Who?”

“My best friend, Tobi. He’s going to propose to his girlfriend tonight.”

“Really?!”

“Yes, yes. My brother wants to get married soon, hahaha. Can’t wait to see him in his suit and tie saying those marriage vows,” Adimchi crowed, stroking his beard.

“Damn marriage vows?” his mom questioned.

“Yes, Mom. What? Don’t give me that look, I didn’t say anything bad now. Before you start preaching, I need you to do something for me. Come with me to the garden,” he stood up, and his mom side-eyed him before standing.

“And what is happening in the garden?” his mom asked as they walked out of the sitting room.

“That’s where the engagement is taking place. The garden needs a touch of beautification. Some guys will be coming to do that, and I want you to supervise them. Let them do it to your taste before they leave. Can you do that for me?”

She hesitated for a moment, wishing it was her son’s engagement. Forcing a fake smile, she nodded. “Sure, I will. When are they coming?”

“They’ll be here soon,” he replied and halted as they reached the garden. “Just a little picture of how I want it to be—” he paused and pointed at the walkway.