Please Don't Cry

Song - Marco - Different Eyes
✨✨✨

The day began anew with fresh, inviting air. The door to Adimchi’s room swung open, and his wife walked in with a tray of cupcakes and a cup of milky coffee. Adimchi was still fast asleep; he had only just fallen asleep two hours ago after staying up all night lost in thought. She walked over to the bed and placed the tray on it, then sat beside him. Her right hand touched his arm as she leaned closer and placed a soft kiss on his cheek.

The lingering of her lips on his cheek stirred him awake. He glanced over his shoulder, blinking in disbelief at the sight of the woman who had demanded a separation the previous day now giving him a good morning kiss. Shocked, he sat up abruptly and stared at her with wide eyes. “Hazel?”

“Good morning, Adim,” she said cheerfully, her smile warm and inviting. “I made you breakfast.” She reached for a pillow, placed it on his thighs, and set the tray on it. Her eyes sparkled as she added, “Bon appétit.”

Adimchi, stunned and confused, struggled to comprehend what was happening. “Hazel, are you alright?”

“Of course I am,” she replied, still smiling. “Why do you ask?”

“You’re acting a bit strange.”

“Strange? Why do you say that?”

“Did you forget what you told me last night?”

“No, I didn’t. In fact, that’s one of the reasons I’m happy.” Her response left him at a loss for words.

“You’re happy that we’re ending our contract marriage?”

“No, that’s not what I meant. I’m happy that you and I will still spend one week together before officially ending the contract.”

“I never agreed to that,” he said firmly, his confusion deepening. Her eyes widened in surprise.

“You didn’t?” she asked, her voice tinged with uncertainty.

“No, I didn’t, and I won’t accept it. If you want to end this marriage, then you’re free to do so. Spending one more week together seems pointless; we should end it now rather than wait.”

Mary looked at him, her expression one of disbelief. “You—you really mean it?”

“Yes, Mary.”

The use of her name made her flinch. “Mary?” she said, the name sounding unfamiliar on her tongue. “I can’t remember the last time you called me that,” she said with a soft chuckle, brushing it off. “Go ahead and have your breakfast; don’t let my effort go to waste.”

“I’m not really hungry. I’ll just go to the gym,” he said, pulling off the blanket and preparing to leave.

“Adim, don’t do that,” she called after him, her voice tinged with desperation. He stopped and turned his head toward her.

“Don’t do what?” His eyes narrowed, his frustration evident.

“Don’t leave. We’re still talking. Please come back and sit here with me. I understand you’re upset, but I don’t want us to end up fighting.”

Caught off guard by her plea and his lingering feelings for her, he found it hard to walk away. Reluctantly, he walked back to the bed and sat beside her. She took his hand and entwined it with hers, her gaze steady.

“Adim, do you remember what you told me during our honeymoon a few months ago?”

“I’ve told you so many things, Hazel. I can’t recall the specific one you’re referring to.”