Mandy

Ifeoma arrived at Sandie’s home. Both ladies crushed each other with a hug. “I miss you so, so much, May.”

“I miss you more, Ify,” Mary replied.

“How have you been? Why did you choose to hide from us? What happened? So many times, I tried reaching you, but your line never went through until today. You have no idea what your disappearance caused in some of our lives.”

“I’m sorry, everything happened so fast. Come with me to my room, let’s talk.”

“Sure. What about your parents? Let me say hello to them first before we go in.”

“Certainly. We will find my mom in the sitting room babysitting. But my dad is not around for now.”

“Wait, your mom is babysitting? Is one of your nieces or nephews here for the holiday?”

Mary glanced sideways and sucked her bottom lip. “The thing is—well—the baby is mine.”

Ifeoma jerked and raised her brows in surprise. “The baby is yours? How?”

“Can you say a brief hello to them, and then we can have a private talk for me to explain better to you?”

“Yes, yes. Show me in.”

Mary nodded and led her inside. “Ifeoma, is that you?” Mary’s mom asked.

“Yes, Mother,” Ifeoma responded with a sheepish smile as she went to embrace her.

“It’s so good to see you again.”

“I feel the same way. I—” The low whimpering sound from Mary’s baby interrupted her, and she turned around to find Mrs. Aku sitting right opposite them. “Mrs. Aku?” she muttered in shock.

“Yes, it’s me,” Mrs. Aku smiled.

“Oh, my goodness! I didn’t know you were here. Wait a second, is that Mary’s baby you are carrying?”

“You wouldn’t have guessed wrong,” she replied, still smiling. “She is my grandchild,” she added, gazing down at the child in her arms.

“Your grandchild? How? I’m confused.”

“I think that you need to come with me now,” Mary stepped in, and Ifeoma diverted her attention to her friend.

“Yes, go with her so she can explain everything to you,” Mary’s mom said.

Ifeoma glanced from Mary’s face to the two women. She nodded silently and followed Mary upstairs.
“What is going on, May?”

“Please sit,” Mary gestured to her bed, and Ifeoma sat with her. “Hah! I can’t believe my life has gotten this complicated, Ify. In just a couple of months, so many things have happened that, in normal people’s lives, would have taken years.”

“You made a mistake by accepting a contract marriage. You shouldn’t have done it.”

“I wasn’t expecting things to turn out this way. I just wanted to live my life freely without having to be committed to anything, not even a child, Ify. But look what happened in the end. I became a mom when I never wanted to be. What have I done to myself, Ify? What have I done?” Mary’s voice cracked, and tears spilled from her eyes.

“Hey, don’t cry, please,” Ifeoma pleaded with a sad frown and pulled her into a comforting hug.

“My life is a mess right now, Ify,” she sobbed into the crook of her friend’s neck. This was the second time she had broken down in front of anyone after she found out she was pregnant. The last time was when she visited her friend Selena and explained everything to her.