Kiss Me

The party finally came to an end, and all the guests departed for their homes, except for the bride and groom’s family. Mary’s family stood in the parlor, bidding their in-laws farewell.

“So, this is real—my daughter is truly married?” Mary’s mom murmured, her voice trembling slightly as she hugged Mrs. Aku.

“Yes, she’s now a married woman. Our children grow up so quickly and leave us to start their own families, and that’s the hardest part of motherhood,” Mrs. Aku replied, her eyes reflecting the weight of her words.

“You’re right. Watching your child leave home after years of being together is indeed the hardest part of motherhood. It’s both a sad and happy experience,” Mrs. Sandie said, her voice cracking with emotion.

“Yes, it is. But don’t worry; your daughter will be well taken care of by my son. We will look after her, I promise,” Mrs. Aku assured, her tone steady but gentle.

Mrs. Sandie nodded slowly and glanced around before focusing back on Mrs. Aku. “Do you think our children made the right choice with this contract marriage deal?” she asked in a whisper, her anxiety evident.

Mrs. Aku sighed heavily. “My dear, I don’t think you and I have a say in that. I’ve tried talking to my son about this many times, but he has turned a deaf ear. This is not his first or second marriage; I’m beginning to lose count.”

“Are you serious? I thought my daughter was his first. I still can’t believe she would agree to a marriage like this; she deserves so much more,” Mrs. Sandie said, her eyes welling with tears.

“It’s okay; try not to worry too much about the decision she’s made. Let’s give them space. Maybe one day they’ll reconsider and choose to marry in a more traditional way,” Mrs. Aku suggested, offering a hopeful smile.

“You think so?” Mrs. Sandie asked, her eyes glimmering with faint hope.

Mrs. Aku shrugged and managed a weak smile. “Let’s hope so.”

“Women!” Mr. Sandie called out, drawing their attention. Both women turned to him, and he added with a chuckle, “It seems like you two aren’t ready to part ways just yet,” causing laughter to erupt among them.

“You can say that, honey,” his wife replied, smiling warmly.

“Don’t worry; you both are in-laws now. You can always visit each other. Isn’t that right, son?” Mr. Sandie asked Adimchi, who nodded in agreement.

“Exactly, Father,” Adimchi responded, his tone reassuring.

“We’ll see each other again soon,” Mrs. Aku said, giving Mrs. Sandie one last hug.

“Thank you all for the warm welcome. It was a wonderful evening with you,” Enenche said, extending his hand for a brief handshake.

“It was a pleasure hosting your family,” Adimchi replied, shaking Enenche’s hand warmly.

Mr. Sandie shared one final affectionate hug with his daughter. “I’m going to miss you, my girl. Please don’t forget me now that you have another man in your life. Remember, I was, and still am, the first man in your life.”

Mary nodded with a broad smile. “I will never forget you, Daddy. You’ll always be my man. I cherish you deeply, and nothing can separate us.”

Adimchi cleared his throat and joined in. “I think I’m starting to get jealous. Now I have to compete with your dad for your affection.”

Mary and her father laughed, and the others joined in. “Please take care of my treasure. Don’t let her stubbornness bother you—”

“Dad!” Mary interrupted, laughing, and Adimchi chuckled.