Secret

Tobi and Ifeoma lay intertwined in each other’s arms in the early morning light, feeling the warmth of their bodies. Their breathing was slow and even, in a synchronized rhythmic manner.

The room was quiet except for the faint sound of their breaths and the soft rustling of the curtains. Tobi’s chest rose and fell softly as his fingers interlaced with hers. He snuggled his nose against her neck, breathing in her mild fragrance mixed with lavender.

He opened his eyes, greeted by the soft glow of the morning sun filtering through the curtains. A heartwarming smile caressed his face as he kissed her bare shoulder.

The gentle touch of his lips on her skin stirred her awake, and she fluttered her eyes open. “If this is a dream, please don’t wake me up,” Ifeoma whispered, smiling.

“It’s not a dream, my heart. You just woke up in my arms,” he replied with a smile.

Ifeoma turned to face him, her eyes fixed lovingly on him. “I have been wishing to find an imperfect man to love me immensely and genuinely. You have no idea how many times my heart has been broken before I met you. I’ve been in so many unlucky relationships, but finally, I met a man like you who loves me effortlessly and even proposed for me to be your wife. Thank you, Tobi, for loving me. I’m happy I didn’t give up on finding true love.”

Tobi stroked her cheek, his forehead resting on hers. “I love you, Ify. I love you deeply; I don’t think I’ve ever loved any woman like I love you. We might not have the perfect relationship, but I know my love for you won’t fade. Even though we end up getting mad at each other sometimes, I will still choose you because you are irreplaceable and amazing. I need a woman like you to share my future with.”

Ifeoma opened her mouth to speak, but Tobi silenced her with a passionate, tender kiss. She felt his hands on her waist as he drew her closer to his chest, deepening the kiss. Their bodies pressed against each other as the kiss grew more intense. Tobi savored the taste of her mouth and could still smell the chocolate-flavored wine she had the night before.

Moments passed before Tobi broke the kiss, leaving both of them breathless. “That’s my assurance to you that I will be faithful and won’t allow you to hurt anymore.”

Ifeoma smiled and placed a kiss on his cheek. “How about some breakfast in bed?” he offered.

“I’d be honored,” she replied with a sheepish smile.

“Alright, just wait here while I prepare something for you,” he said, sitting up.

“Okay, thanks,” she nodded, and Tobi rose from the bed and walked out of the room.

***

It was around midday when Mrs. Aku received a call from Mrs. Sandie while she was having lunch with her sons. She wondered why Mrs. Sandie would be calling her at such an hour of the day. Glancing up at Adimchi’s face, she noticed he wasn’t paying attention to whether her phone was ringing or not. She sighed in relief and returned her gaze to her meal.

“Aren’t you going to pick that?” Adimchi asked, still not glancing up at his mom.

Her head jerked up in shock. She had thought he didn’t notice her buzzing phone, not knowing he did. She became nervous and stopped eating. She had been warned to stay away from Mary and her family, but she was still keeping close tabs on them. If Adimchi found out it was Mrs. Sandie calling, she knew he would get upset with her.

Forcing out a nervous smile, she said, “The call is not really important. I’ll just call back later after our lunch.”

“Okay,” Adimchi replied with a shrug.