I Like Her

As the morning turns into afternoon, Adimchi and his wife are getting ready for their trip. Dressed in an army-green high-waist shorts and a black bralette, Mary pairs the outfit with open-toe black heeled sandals.

“And there she goes, looking all stunning in her dress,” Adimchi mutters behind her, his hands jammed in his shorts pockets.

Mary twirls and glances at her husband with a beaming smile. “And here he comes, looking all charming in his white shirt—” She halts halfway and gives his hair a thorough look. “Oh, your hair, I don’t know what you did to it, but it gives you the perfect look.”

Mary’s heartfelt words make Adimchi’s cheeks flush. He glances away for a moment and brushes his hair with his left hand. “Thank you, Hazel,” he says, smiling as he entwines his fingers with hers. He holds her gaze for a moment and asks, “Are you ready for this trip, Mrs. Adimchi?”

“Certainly, Mr. Adimchi.”

“Our pilot is waiting,” Adimchi responds.

“Let’s not keep him waiting for too long then,” Mary replies and takes a step toward their bedroom door.

Adimchi gently pulls her back and kisses her deeply, not giving her a chance to ask any questions. Mary surrenders to his kiss and wraps her arms around his neck. Her right fingers dig into his hair, causing a soft moan to escape Adimchi’s lips.

“We’ll be late, Adim,” Mary worries as they finally break the kiss.

“There are our employees. They wouldn’t mind if we showed up in the evening,” Adimchi replies.

“Adim, don’t say that. Just because they are our employees doesn’t mean we should treat them that way. Let’s leave already. We have each other throughout this trip, don’t we?”

“Indeed, Hazel. Come on, let’s get going.” Adimchi wraps his arm around her waist, and they both walk out of the room to bid a brief farewell to his family before departing.

Shortly after Adimchi leaves with his wife, Mrs. Aku stands by the window in the living room, smiling to herself. “Oh, Mother, please don’t get your hopes up about my brother,” Jamalumchi says from behind her.

She turns and looks up at her son. “What do you mean by that, Jamal?”

“You and I both know what you’re thinking,” Jamalumchi scoffs.

A frown settles on Mrs. Aku’s face. “And what am I thinking?”

Jamalumchi grunts. “You already know, Mom. But maybe I need to confirm my suspicion—” he stops and steps closer to his mother. “Tell me, Mom, weren’t you just thinking my brother would finally settle down with Mary and end his contract marriage game?”

Mrs. Aku’s head whips back, and she draws a sharp breath. “How on earth did you know my thoughts?”

Jamalumchi smirks. “I’m your son. I can usually decipher your thoughts. But please don’t set yourself up for heartbreak. I don’t want you to be disappointed if Adimchimkpa lets you down again.”

“But I like her already. I feel she is here to stay,” Mrs. Aku pouts.

“Oh, Mom, you’re going to end up hurting yourself. This is all just a game. The rule is not to form any attachment to the women Adimchimkpa brings home because his marriages are short-term. They can leave at any time. Read my lips, Mom: not even Mary will stay as you’re imagining. It’s time to accept that your son Adimchimkpa won’t change.”

Mrs. Aku stares silently, tears brimming. “But why? Where did your father and I go wrong in our parenting?”

Jamalumchi sighs and shakes his head. “Mom, it’s not about you or Dad. It’s his decision. He alone has a better explanation for it. Don’t worry. Sooner or later, I’ll find my beloved, and you’ll see how we’ll love each other just like you and Dad did.” He pulls his mother into an embrace and whispers, “Please don’t be sad. I’m not happy when you are.”