The Craziest Thing

A few days passed, and Adimchi and Mary were still enjoying their exotic vacation. They walked hand in hand along Cluny Park Road, carrying a paper bag of junk food they had bought after a full day touring the city’s most beautiful spots. The street was quiet, free from the daytime bustle. All the restaurants were closed since it was almost midnight.

Just as the couple was about to turn onto another deserted street, Adimchi spotted a restaurant across from them. He came to an abrupt stop, and Mary followed suit.

“Hazel, look at that restaurant over there.”

Mary’s gaze followed his finger, and she gasped at the sight. “Oh my gosh, what a beautiful place! I’m already in love with the cozy space, fairy lights, and plant décor.”

“Yeah. Would you like to go in there and enjoy these not-so-great snacks with me?” Adimchi asked.

“Go in there? But they just put up the closed sign. How do you plan to get in?” A cocky grin spread across Adimchi’s face, and his lips parted slightly.

“What are you thinking?” she continued.

“We’ll find our way inside,” Adimchi wiggled his eyebrows.

It took Mary a moment to understand his plan. “No?” she protested.

“Yes, sweetheart,” he flashed a cute smile and gestured toward the restaurant. “Come on, let’s be rebels for today.”

Mary rolled her eyes and sighed. “I’ll stay in the back just in case you get caught.”

Adimchi snorted and took the lead, with Mary trailing behind, her hand still intertwined with his. They approached the restaurant and tiptoed around it. Luckily, the back door was still open. Adimchi took the lead again, cautiously stepping inside, and Mary followed, ensuring no noise was made on the deck.

They reached a table and sat down quietly after glancing at the man at the counter, who seemed engrossed in counting money and didn’t notice their entrance.

“It’s even more beautiful inside,” Mary whispered.

“Yeah, it is,” Adimchi agreed.

They settled into their seats and began eating the satay and chili crab. “This tastes so good,” Adimchi moaned, licking his fingers.

“Shh, keep your voice down,” Mary cautioned, glancing at the bar section where the middle-aged man stood.

Adimchi snorted. “Are you scared?”

“Seriously, you’re asking me that? Just wait until you’re caught by those men,” she scoffed.

“It’s just one man, not two or three,” Adimchi argued.

“It’s more than one now. Take a look,” Mary said, gesturing to the bar.

Adimchi glanced back and noticed a younger man had joined the one at the counter. “Oh shit!” he cursed and turned back to Mary. “Come on, eat up. Let’s leave before we get caught.”

Their whispers had grown louder, and the young man seemed to have noticed the strange sounds. “Carl, did you hear anything?”

“The only sound I hear is my money, Fidel,” Carl chuckled, putting the money in the drawer.

Fidel grunted and rolled his eyes. “I’m serious, I heard something,” he insisted, glancing around the restaurant. “Oh no!” he half-exclaimed when he saw Adimchi and Mary.

“What now, Fidel?” Carl asked, sounding bored.

“Check this out,” Fidel said, pointing to the couple.