Jealous Of Us

Blithe with the bliss of the evening, Mary chooses this time to visit her parents and inform them of her new marital status. As she stepped onto the balcony, a radiant smile spread across her face. “Hi, Mom,” she called out. Her mom glanced to her left to see her daughter smiling warmly at her.

“My baby!” she exclaimed, opening her arms wide for a hug. “Come here, honey,” she added, and Mary hurried to the sofa where her mom was relaxing. Both women enveloped each other in a long hug.

“Oh dear, I’ve missed you so much,” Mary’s mom said.

“I miss you too, Mom.” Mary pecked her mom on the cheek and sat down next to her.

“I can’t believe we live in the same city, but it takes us more than a month to see each other.”

“Oh, Mom, don’t say it like that. You know how my work is. I’m always so busy building websites. I don’t even have time for myself,” Mary explained.

“But you shouldn’t be working like that, honey. You should try and take a break sometimes.”

“It’s not that easy, Mom. I have to do this. I can’t just put my clients on hold because I want a break.”

“It’s just for a short period, honey. They’ll understand,” her mom insisted and heaved a long sigh. “That’s by the way. How have you been?”

“Great, Mom, great!” Mary exclaimed excitedly, and her mom raised a questioning brow.

“Hmm, you seem really excited with your answer.” She paused and leaned forward, resting her right hand on her chin, her gaze fixed on Mary. “Aside from being great, is there something or someone that’s igniting this feeling of greatness?”

A soft giggle erupted from Mary, and her cheeks turned crimson. “I got married today, Mom.”

Her mom was struck with a certain frigid and deferential surprise, rendering her mute for a moment. “Married? You?” she choked out.

“Yes, Mom, I’m married,” Mary grinned.

Her mom leaned back in confusion and took a thorough look at her daughter. “Are you okay, Mary?”

“Yes, Mom, I’m very well. Nothing is wrong with me!” Mary replied, and a slight smile parted her mom’s lips.

“I almost thought you were running a fever or maybe something worse than that,” her mom said, letting out her fears.

“Mom, I’m okay. Nothing is wrong with me! I just told you I got married earlier today to a guy named Adimchikpa Aku. We signed our marriage documents today.” Mary halted and handed her mom a brown envelope containing the marriage documents with Adimchi.

“You are joking,” her mom insisted, glancing down at her daughter’s hands.

“No, Mother. Just take it and read for yourself,” she extended her hand even more for her mom to take the documents.

Reluctantly, her mom took the documents and opened them. Dark with sadness and disappointment, she glowered at her daughter. “Mary? A contract marriage?”

“Yes, Mom, a contract marriage. It’s the best marriage anyone could have now,” Mary answered with pride.

Her mom gaped at her in unutterable sorrow. Mary could see from her mom’s expression that she wasn’t happy with the news. “Come on, Mom, don’t be like that. You should be happy I’m married now.”

“Really, Mary? A contract marriage?” her mom croaked, trying hard to hold back her tears.

“Mom, haven’t you heard of contract marriages before? I’m not the first person to enter into one, and I won’t be the last,” Mary said sternly.