Heartless

Song - Avant Toi -  Vitaa ft. Slimane
✨✨✨

It was past midnight when Mary’s phone beeped beside her thighs. She retraced her eyes from her laptop and glanced at her phone. It was an SMS from her ex-brother-in-law, Nachikamdi. She picked up her phone and opened the message.

Hello, I guess you might be sleeping by now. When you wake up in the morning, please check your WhatsApp. I sent you a clip you need to see,’ she read inwardly and frowned at the message. She didn’t hesitate to log onto her WhatsApp. As soon as she opened it, messages started coming in from all her friends who had texted her earlier in the day, but she didn’t have time to reply to any of them.

She ignored the rest of the messages and clicked on that of Nachikamdi. She glanced back at her husband, who was sleeping peacefully, and reached for her ear pod on the table. After fixing it in her ear, she played the video. She watched carefully, and her face suddenly became doleful as tears filled her eyes. She couldn’t take her eyes off her phone. She kept replaying the video over and over again until she fell asleep.

Morning came quickly, and Mary was still sleeping with her phone in her hand. Inaudible mutterings from her stirred up her husband, and he sat up and rubbed his eyes. The mutterings continued, and her husband, instead of waking her up, began grinning while watching her. He found it fascinating just watching her sleep-talking.

“Adim,” she mumbled. The grin on her husband’s face vanished in a flash, replaced with a scowl. Gritting his teeth, he didn’t wait another minute to wake her up.

“Babe?” he tapped her foot twice, and she stirred. She rolled over to her left and continued her sleep. “Babe?” he woke her up again, and this time she opened her eyes to find her man staring down at her.

“Daniel?” she called and adjusted herself on the bed. “Are you okay?”

“Maybe, maybe not,” he responded, his eyes flickering with contempt.

“What happened? Did you fall sick overnight?” she asked, sitting up.

“I think I just fell ill this morning,” he said, giving her a disappointed look.

“Oh no. Should I call the doctor, or would you go to him?” she extended her hand to touch his forehead.

“I’m not physically ill, okay? My heart is sick!” he replied, and her forehead furrowed.

“C’mon, Daniel, get serious. Let me call a doctor,” she persisted, scrolling through her phone.

“I said I’m not physically sick! You just made my heart sick by calling the name of your ex in my house!” he barked at her, and Mary shivered.

“Excuse me, it’s too early to say stuff like that.”

“No, it’s not. You started it by mentioning the name of your ex. Tell me something, were you dreaming of him having rough sex with you and moaning his name?” Daniel’s anger got the best of him, and his eyes glazed at the woman sitting right next to him.

“Have you suddenly gone insane? How could you think of that?!”

“You made me think so. You were mumbling his name in your sleep. What excuse do you have for doing that?”

“That doesn’t mean we were doing something in the dream!”

“But it does mean he was in your dream! It’s quite obvious you haven’t gotten over him!” Daniel growled and stood up from the bed.

“How could you say that? If I wasn’t done with him, I wouldn’t have been with you. I don’t understand why you are making it a big deal just because I mentioned my ex’s name in my dream. For crying out loud, it was a dream, not reality! Jeez!”