Surprise

They walked into the bar, hands entwined, and took a seat. A waiter quickly approached to take their order. Moments later, he returned with a bottle of Krug Clos d’Ambonnay champagne and two glasses. After pouring their drinks, he left briefly and returned with a tray and a songbook.

“Sorry to interrupt, but could you please write down a song you’d like to sing?” he asked Mary, whose eyes widened in surprise.

She looked at Adimchi, who smiled and gestured for her to go ahead.

“But I don’t know how to sing. You should give it to someone who does,” Mary replied, not taking the book from the waiter.

“Come on, Hazel, just pick a song you know. You don’t have to sing perfectly; it’s just for fun,” Adimchi encouraged, and Mary shot him a glare.

“No! I have a terrible voice. I don’t know any songs. Give it to the next person,” she insisted, crossing her arms. Adimchi grinned.

“What about you, sir?” The waiter asked Adimchi, who nodded and took the book.

“Are you really going to sing?” Mary asked, watching him write down his song choice.

“Yes. My voice may not be like Ed Sheeran’s or Justin Bieber’s, but I can still sing, even if it’s bad,” Adimchi replied, handing the book back to the waiter.

“Oh… what song did you pick?” Mary asked.

“You’ll find out soon,” he winked, pouring wine for both of them. Mary frowned slightly, which Adimchi found amusing. “Drink up,” he urged, and she reluctantly sipped her wine.

They chatted and laughed at some of the karaoke performances. When the last singer finished, a new song appeared on the projector. Adimchi knew it was his turn. A microphone was brought to him. “It’s your turn, bro,” the MC announced with a smile. Adimchi took the mic, smiling back.

“I hope I don’t burst out laughing at your voice,” Mary giggled, and Adimchi shrugged, smiling. Her gaze shifted to the screen, where the song title appeared. “Ugochi by Determination,” she muttered, unfamiliar with the song.

As the countdown on the projector screen ended, the beat started, and Adimchi began to sing, his gaze fixed on hers:

Ohhh
Ohhh
Mary
Ifedimma na Anya gbalu akwukwo
Nga agu gi jee service ma iburu akwukwoo(obi m ohhh)
Ada m ekwela umuuwa tinyela anyi anya(ah ah ah)
My lady you the only one that is taking me higha(eziokwu)
Afulu gi kwelu na nwanyi di na udi na udi (ah ahhh)…”

The hair on Mary’s arms stood up at the sound of Adimchi’s voice. He took her hand, and she felt a rush of adrenaline. Her eyes widened in awe as she realized how perfect his voice was. She couldn’t believe it was coming from him.

Other guests cheered as Adimchi continued singing. His fingers gently lifted her chin, his bright eyes locking onto hers, making her heart race. Her senses were overwhelmed by his touch. Her cheeks turned crimson, and she felt a desire she hadn’t anticipated.

As Adimchi finished the song, he gently kissed Mary’s lips. Her eyes widened at first, then she found herself kissing him back. The bar erupted in applause and cheers, causing Mary to pull back, covering her face in embarrassment while Adimchi hugged her closer. He waved to the guests, then turned his attention back to Mary, patting her hair and kissing her head.

“You don’t have to be shy,” he whispered, smiling.

“Now that is what I call karaoke!” the MC exclaimed. “Please, another round of applause for this amazing and romantic couple!” The applause was even louder this time.