Gossip

A new dawn came, and Mrs. Aku was still anxious to know if Mary had been there yesterday. She left her room and walked to the kitchen. “Good morning, Ini.”

Ini paused the dishes he was doing and turned to greet his boss’s mom. “Good morning, ma. Did you have a peaceful night's rest?”

“Not really.”

“Why? Are you okay?”

“Yes, I’m fine. I was so desperate to get an answer to something important that I ended up thinking about it all through the night.”

“That’s serious. Do you mind sharing it with me while I make you coffee?”

“Yes, who knows, you might be of help.”

“Okay then, I’m all ears,” Ini replied, picking up a white mug and placing it on the kitchen counter.

“Yesterday afternoon, I went out. Do you remember?”

“Yes, why?” Ini asked, adding a spoonful of coffee to the cup.

“While I was away, did anyone visit?”

Ini glanced up at her, his forehead beaded with sweat. “Someone?”

“Yeah, someone, anyone,” Mrs. Aku shrugged.

“Didn’t your son tell you?”

“Tell me what?”

“About who came around yesterday.”

“No, he didn’t. He was already out when I got back.”

“Your favorite was here yesterday,” Ini smiled, picking up the electric kettle and pouring water into the cup.

Mrs. Aku stared at him in confusion. “My favorite?”

“Oh no, don’t tell me you’ve forgotten her so soon. Here, take a sip of this coffee; it might help you remember who I’m talking about.”

Mrs. Aku accepted the coffee, still staring at him weirdly. She was about to take a sip when it struck her who Ini was referring to. She gave a loud gasp, and her eyes grew big in awe. “Mary?!”

“Yes, she was the one that came around. But unfortunately, I only saw her come in but didn’t know when she left.”

Mrs. Aku put her coffee down on the counter. “Why wouldn’t you know, Ini?” she asked with open arms.

“Because I was in the kitchen.”

“I want to know everything that happened while she was here.”

“You should ask your son. I think he has a better explanation to give.”

“He won’t give me an answer,” Mrs. Aku groaned, grabbing her coffee and sipping it.

“But why not?”

“You won’t understand.”

“You think so? If you explain to me, I’ll definitely understand.”

“It’s quite complicated. I’ll leave you to continue with your work.”

“Okay, ma. I’ll let you know when breakfast is ready.”

“Thank you.” Mrs. Aku left the kitchen to return to her room, meeting her son halfway.

“Good morning, Mom.”

“Good morning, son. You came home late last night, as you had said.”

“Yes, I did. I wanted to check up on you in your room, but I was contemplating you must have been asleep by then.”