Lost Interests

It was late evening when Mrs. Aku showed up at her son’s house, feeling very happy. Adimchi was already waiting for her arrival.

“Hey Mom, I was starting to get worried about you. What happened?” he asked the minute she stepped into the living room.

“Oh, my son, I’m so sorry. I should have called. There was a change of plans, and I had to stay for a small party her colleagues threw for her. After that, we went out for a couple of drinks and food. I had to leave them behind despite them wanting me to stay until midnight.”

“That’s okay. It’s a good thing you didn’t stay until midnight. I hope you had fun though?”

“Yes, I did.”

“That’s good. I had Ini prepare yam and egg sauce for you. Would you like that, or should I ask him to prepare something else?”

“I think I’ll go with that, thank you. I’ll just freshen up and join you downstairs once I’m done.”

“Alright.”

As soon as Mrs. Aku got to her bedroom, she shut the door and rested her back against it. She breathed out heavily, a small smile tugging at the corners of her lips.

“Forgive me, son. I’m a bad liar. I’m just hiding this from you for the time being until you straighten things out with the mother of my grandchild.”

***

Mary spent 48 hours deliberating before deciding to meet her child’s father. She adorned herself in dark blue jeans and a white wrap curved hem camisole top, complemented by an abstract vintage art print light jacket. Slipping her feet into silver glassy heels, she opted for a makeup-free face, applying only her favorite light pink lipstick to her lips.

Allowing her wavy gold wig to cascade down her back, she gazed at herself in the mirror, let out a soft sigh, and said, “I think it’s time to get over this already. Let’s do this, Mary.”

She left her room and went to her daughter’s room to check on her before leaving. Gazing fondly at her baby in the cot, she smiled. “Hey, my little one. Mommy is going to see your dad for a little talk. Be a good girl while I’m away and don’t trouble grandma, okay?”

“I don’t care if she troubles me, I can deal with it,” Mary’s mom said. Mary turned to find her mom standing at the door.

“Mom, there you are. I was just about to get you. How long have you been standing there?” she asked, smiling brightly.

“Just came in. Are you going out?”

“Yes, I need to see someone. Can you look after my baby while I’m away?”

“Of course, that’s my duty here!”

“Thank you. I won’t be long.”

“That’s okay. Don’t be in a hurry to come back if it’s very important. Just finish up first before you return.”

“Thank you, Mom,” she said, hugging her briefly before letting go. “See you later.”

“Take care, sweetheart.”

Mary nodded and exited the room while her mom dug her phone out to make a call. “Hello Joyce, how are you doing today?”

“I’m doing awesome. How is our baby?”

“Doing great. Uhmm, is your son at home?”

“Yes, why? Is there a problem?”

“Not at all. I have a feeling my daughter is going over to see him. Do you think you can give them some privacy?”