Whales

Taylor is lying beside me, and my phone is absolutely going off. So is hers come to think of it. I wake up and check my phone answering a call from Molly. She screams at me asking me what I'm doing because I missed the grammy nominations. I quickly wake Taylor up and point to her phone. 

It's exciting, I've been nominated for best new artist, and single of the year. Taylor's been nominated for just about everything under the sun. 

She turns to me smiling and I congratulate her, my own win filling me up with utter joy and disbelief. I'm up against Noah Kahan and Gracie Abrams and Ice Spice. And other crazy famous people. And then Miley Cyrus, Olivia Rodrigo literally Taylor herself for song of the year. 

I'm ecstatic. I'm blushing, I'm kissing Taylor Swift. 

,,,

Molly is telling me to find what I want to wear to the GRAMMYS and telling me to make a post and thousands of other things. Taylor left my apartment a few hours ago. With a longing look as she shut my door. I stared at it for ages before coming back to the real world. 

On Instagram I see Sabrina Carpenter has covered my Opera for Spotify singles and I smile. 

This is so exciting. It's everything I've ever wanted. My plane ticket for Chicago has been purchased so I get to go see Jude and my grandfather soon. Nothing could be better. It's sundown by the time I finally sit down, from answering calls and typing on my laptop. 

I feel lonely all of a sudden, it's not like I'm sitting in a big house alone. It's a tiny apartment. A tiny apartment that I am still alone in. I play Taylor's music, and I know you were trouble starts playing. I pull out my guitar and strum along. 

"And the saddest fear.... comes creeping in. That you never loved me, or her OR ANYONE! OR ANYTHINGGGG" 

I sing it with passion and anger as my door opens. Taylor is standing there, her hair curling around her shoulders from the static. She's out of breath and I gather she just ran up the stairs. She's panting and her face is red. 

She looks upset, really, really upset. 

I freeze, pausing the song. 

"Is this your second home now?" I ask jokingly to try lightening the mood, putting my guitar back on its stand. She doesn't smile so my face goes serious. "You, okay?". 

"No, I'm not okay. But I don't want to talk about it". She says and I nod. 

Her glass of water from this morning is still on the bench and she picks it up and skulls it her hands pressed on the bench like shes holding on for dear life. Like she'd fall over if I tapped her on the back. 

,,,

It's the middle of the night. We are watching movies her hair sprawled over my lap while I fiddle with the long blonde strands. As the credits for Good Will Hunting start rolling across the screen she sits up. 

"Lucile, put your jacket on. We are going out". She says suddenly and I furrow my brows. 

"Tay, it's quarter to two in the morning. We can go to bed?" I reason but she shakes her head firmly. throwing my coat at me from by my front door. 

I pull the coat on and smile at Taylor, she is totally my spirit animal. I fucking love this woman. 

I get in her car, and she starts it putting the radio on which is playing my song foliage, you can hear my soft voice mixed with violin and a male's voice. Noah Kahan. 

I sit back in my seat hiding my face in my hands, bashfully and Taylor laughs. "You're on the radio Luce". She pulls my hands away and realizes I'm crying. "Oh, Luce what's wrong". 

"Oh, sorry uh." I wipe my eyes and sniffle. "I just wish my parents where here to see this, like. I'm on the radio. I did it". I say sadly then smile to try and stop crying. Taylor frowns. 

"Oh honey, they are here. They are proud of you. They're watching. It's their own private concert up there." I smile and laugh through my tears and Taylor hugs me from across the seats. Another song starts playing in the background as our eyes meet staring strongly at each other. 

'I need to tell you something. I really really really really really really like you, and i want you do, you want me? do you want me too? i really really really really really like you.' 

I really like you by Carly Rae Jepson plays as we stare at each other. She moves a piece of hair behind my ear. "Who gave you eyes like that, said you can keep them" I sing along, and she smirks. A smirk I want to kiss of her face. 

But she doesn't kiss me those lips pull away and she starts singing along and dancing in her seat. I sit back slightly hurt and confused. But I don't let Taylor see it. She starts driving still singing along to every song that plays. I hum along and sit mostly quiet looking out the window. 

"So, uh where are we going?" I ask. 

"It's a surprise". 

,,,

We get there at quarter past 2 in the morning and I laugh. A whale watching deck. She tells me they probably won't be out there, but it smells like salt, you can hear the waves and it's the most beautiful thing I've ever seen. 

She takes her coat and looks surprised when I leave mine in the car. "Luce, it's fucking freezing".  

I roll my eyes and laugh, pulling my hair out of its braid so my brunette waves sway in the wind. She stands on the dock, but I run straight down it, leaving my shoes and socks with her. She laughs at me from above as I run down towards the water. Dancing on the sand. 

She disappears for a moment. And I see her come back from the car barefoot and coatless and I smile. We chase each other across the sand and dance in the icy cold water. I think to myself 'I 'm going to write a song about this. I'm going to write and album.' 

This is the best thing I've ever experienced, my white dress billows in the wind, and sticks to my ancles because it's wet. I splash Taylor with water, and she laughs. Running behind me. There are stadium type speakers that apparently play music all night here and it's playing paradise by Coldplay. 

Taylor chases me down the beach, flattening me on my back when she pounces on me. I look up into her eyes that I swear are bluer than the ocean right in front of us. I expect her to do something, but she doesn't. The tides washes over us and covers my face. 

I laugh and Taylor quickly gets off me apologizing. Snow on the beach starts playing over the speakers and we both smile dancing around our toes making footprints in the pale sand. the air is so fresh you can taste it. The stars are like spotlights, it's like we are the only two people in the world as we sway and jump and spin. 

I look out at the sea and see a little jumping fish splash out the water. I make a wish on it because I'm very superstitious.  then I hear Taylor behind me yell "YES WHALE". I die of laughter and fall into her. 

"That was a tiny fish you goose". She laughs too. 

Then were both lying on the sand laughing until it hurts and letting the waves crash up to our ancles. 

By the time the sun comes up my legs hurt so much but I'm still walking with Taylor up and down the beach while we tell each other stories. Then she just sits, straight into the ground pulling me with her. 

"You want to know why I was so upset earlier?" She asks. And I nod letting her talk. "Travis moved to New York to be with me and he's going to train here as much as he can. It's a huge risk on his career but there letting him do it. I guess were like going to get back together". She says and I sit there wondering if my eyes are stinging because of the salt or the cold air. 

"Oh, thats, thats great Taylor I'm so happy for you". I say and she nods, seeming truly happy. 

"You know, you are my best friend, Lucile." I nod and turn to her plastering a picture-perfect smile on. "And thanks for last night, kissing you was like a great distraction" She laughs then laying her head on my shoulder. My eyes stay perfectly straight on the ocean. Watching the waves crash in and out of shore.