Chapter 46

Sarah POV

A few months later

The sun was just beginning to rise, casting a warm glow over the city, as I stretched and yawned, trying to shake off the lingering remnants of sleep. The baby had been particularly active during the night, making it difficult to get any rest. I rubbed my swollen belly, feeling a mix of excitement and apprehension. The due date was fast approaching, and each day brought us closer to meeting our child.

I shuffled into the kitchen to make a cup of tea, the familiar routine helping to ground me amidst the whirlwind of emotions. Alessandro had already left for work, but he'd left a sweet note on the kitchen counter: 

Can't wait to meet our little one. Take it easy today. Love.- A.

As I sipped my tea, I thought about the journey that had brought me to this point. The past few months had been a rollercoaster of emotions, filled with moments of pain, healing, and unexpected growth. Adrian's efforts to make amends hadn't gone unnoticed, and while it was still difficult to fully trust him, I could see the genuine changes he was making. It gave me hope, not just for our child, but for the possibility of co-parenting effectively.

Just as I was finishing my tea, a sudden, sharp pain shot through my abdomen, causing me to gasp and clutch the edge of the counter for support. My heart raced as the pain subsided, but before I could catch my breath, a second, more intense wave hit, accompanied by a rush of warmth. I looked down and saw the unmistakable sign: my water had broken.

Panic and excitement surged through me. This was it. The baby was coming. I took a few deep breaths to steady myself and reached for my phone to call Alessandro. His phone went straight to voicemail. Trying not to panic, I left a message, explaining what had happened and telling him to meet me at the hospital.

Next, I called Adrian. He picked up on the first ring.

"Sarah? What's wrong?" His voice was filled with concern.

"My water just broke. The baby is coming," I said, trying to keep my voice steady despite the pain and fear coursing through me.

"I'm on my way," he replied without hesitation. "I'll be there as soon as I can."

I grabbed my hospital bag, which had been packed and ready for weeks, and made my way to the front door. The contractions were coming more frequently now, each one stronger than the last. I called for a cab and waited anxiously on the front porch, trying to focus on my breathing.

The cab ride to the hospital felt like an eternity. Each bump in the road sent a jolt of pain through my body, and I clutched the seat, willing myself to stay calm. Finally, we arrived at the hospital. I was helped out of the cab and into a wheelchair by a kind nurse who quickly whisked me away to the maternity ward.

As I was wheeled into the delivery room, I heard familiar voices. Alessandro arrived, out of breath and with a look of sheer relief on his face. He rushed to my side, taking my hand in his. "I'm here, Sarah. We're going to get through this together."

Moments later, Adrian burst into the room, his expression a mixture of anxiety and determination. He looked at me and then at Alessandro, nodding in acknowledgment. "I'm here, too. For both of you."

The next few hours were a whirlwind of agony and raw emotion. Each contraction felt like a tidal wave crashing over me, pulling me deeper into a sea of pain. My screams filled the room, echoing off the sterile walls, a testament to the intensity of the labor. Alessandro clung to my hand, his face a mask of worry and determination, his presence my lifeline. Every time I thought I couldn't bear another moment, his voice would break through the fog, grounding me, and reminding me to breathe.