Chapter 38

It was in the blink of an eye. The moment that Goo blinked, Ji-hyeon was already in front of him as his right hand-blade was already swung at him. Just as Goo was prepared to jump back to avoid the hand-blade, he noticed how Ji-hyeon didn't actually hit him with his right hand. Instead, Goo winced in pain when he saw that Ji-hyeon actually kicked him in his left calf with his right leg.

"Using your signature move as a feint just for this. You shrewd little brat!"

Just as Goo said this, he swung the latch of his watch at Ji-hyeon with his right hand. Seeing this, Ji-hyeon jumped backwards to avoid it, but his eyes widen in shock when he noticed the watch wasn't in Goo's right hand the moment he performed the swing. In actuality, Goo dropped his makeshift weapon into his left hand and then proceeded to slash at Ji-hyeon's chest with the latch of his watch. Shortly afterwards, Goo spun his body and kicked Ji-hyeon to the ground.

"Damn, that smarts. But at least I got what I needed."

"Oh, what are you yapping about, Ji-hyeon? At this rate, this fight won't even do good as an episode special in my adventure. Didn't you say you'd show me the martial arts that scarred Gun?"

"Oh I will. That little exchange of ours was all I needed. Now that I know what i'm dealing with, it's my turn to take the offense."

When Ji-hyeon said this, Goo heard a whip-like crack ringing in his ears. The moment he looked at the blonde-haired boy in front of him, a grin was seen forming on his face. Currently in Ji-hyeon's right hand was the belt that Goo was wearing today. With a smirk on his face, Ji-hyeon's gaze was now focused on Goo.

"I'm not just proficient with hand-to-hand combat, ya know."

Just as Ji-hyeon said this, he swung the belt at Goo multiple times as the weapon genius was dodging each strike with minimal effort. However, Goo wasn't an idiot. He could tell Ji-hyeon was planning something. Just as the boy swung the belt at Goo again, the young man was prepared to dodged only to feel a sharp pain in his left calf. Before he realized it, Goo felt the buckle of the belt hitting his left calf as the weapon genius swung his watch at Ji-hyeon.

Seeing this, Ji-hyeon released the belt as he jumped backwards to avoid Goo's attack. The moment he landed on his feet, the youngest Kwak sibling was surprised to feel a sharp pain in his chest. The moment he looked down, he saw a slash mark upon his chest as Goo's watch had blood dripping from it.

"You really are a genius. Turning something as simple as a watch into a weapon. Fucking terrifying."

"Like you're one to talk, you fucking sadist. You kept attacking my calf and using feints like no tomorrow!"

"Oh come on, I thought this was just another adventure for the amazing Goo Kim."

While they looked as if they were joking, both of them could tell right away. Their opponent was dangerous beyond compare. That little exchange of theirs helped size up their opponent. Just as Goo tossed aside his watch and reached into his pocket, Ji-hyeon took a deep breath as he hardened his fingers.

"On my way here, I passed by several members that seemed to be normal workers. The moment I asked about you though, they began to attack me. I wonder what connection you have for people who work under Chungcheong's king to go that far for you."

As Goo said this, he finally revealed the weapon he took from one of the gang members that work under the Kwak siblings. It was nothing more than a simple switchblade, but the moment it was in Goo's hands, Ji-hyeon was on high alert. He could tell that this man just got even more dangerous. However, a smile soon formed in Ji-hyeon's face.

"Who knows? But thanks to that little warm up of ours, I finally understand you. Goo Kim, i'm the perfect counter to you against you now."

The way he swung his weapon. The way it looked like his movements were random, but were actually well planned traps. This exchange etched Goo's habits into Ji-hyeon's memory, it was easy due to how similarly they fight as well. However, now that Ji-hyeon has all the information he needed, he simply took a deep breath.

"Blink and you'll miss it.......the martial arts that even Gun Park is wary of."

The event that happened next could only be described as instantaneous. Both Goo and Ji-hyeon were already on opposite sides of their original positions. While Ji-hyeon had slash marks all over his arms, Goo had stab and slash marks across his arms and chest. This is what Gun warned him about, the Auto-counter. The moment Goo had swung the switch blade, Ji-hyeon's fingers were already piercing his flesh. Looking at the boy, Goo noticed how Ji-hyeon had far fewer injuries then he did.

"The most important thing for most weapon users is balance. If that balance is disrupted, even a lethal attack can become non-lethal if it's off by a few degrees. Tell me, what did I do to make someone of your caliber lose his balance?"

"Are you mocking me? Unlike a hit to the inner thigh, a hit to the calf is instant damage. You struck there more than once, now it's painful just to stand on my left leg. Let me ask you something, do you think you're the first person to try this strategy against me? Let's cut this short. I'm actually starting to get a bit pissed."

"I couldn't agree more."

As Ji-hyeon said this, Goo suddenly gripped his switch blade tightly as the air began to feel cold. Something about Ji-hyeon changed as the weapon genius felt something ominous about him. Meanwhile, Ji-hyeon finally decided it was time. He knew that he was going to die if he didn't go all out. That's why, just this once, he was going to have to break his promise to Jichang.

"I'm sorry, Hyung, but I have to break my promise. If I want to survive, I need to fight with full intention on killing this man."

"Those eyes

"Those eyes....I take back what I said, Ji-hyeon Kwak. You're not a mere brat. You're a twisted son of a bitch just like me."

Smiles now replaced with seriousness, the weapon genius and the snake make their killing intent known