Chapter 8 - The Dark Elves

The Freelancers finished their work in Quiver Village and went home to the poor village.

Everyone was at awe with how much coin they earned, especially Butch who couldn't believe that Dave managed to turn a bunch of no-good bandits into competent workers.

Dave kept his word and only took 10% of their earnings, he kept the money by the statue of Shineztia in a secluded place.

And together, all of the Freelancers gave their thanks to their new god, Shineztia. Praise be.

Now, Dave gathered them all for their first big Freelance job.

"The Dark Elf Princess!?" A Freelancer yelled in shock.

"We're going to the Dark Elf Kingdom!?" Another Freelancer shouted.

"Yep, I struck a deal that if we help them with their problems, this village would be recognized and we'd be protected by Her Majesty." Dave nodded.

"This also means we'll get more clients, as we'd be citizens of the Dark Elf Kingdom."

"B-But the Dark Elves, they hate humans!" Another Freelancer says.

Dave nodded, he tapped his glasses as he remembered the books he read in Quiver Village.

"I've read the feud between humans and non-humans. It seems that the Dark Elves harbour some hatred for us cause Dark Elves and other folk were sold as slaves." Dave then glares at his guild members, who were former bandits that sold slaves too.

"But we have to move on from our sins and see a better future. We will help the Dark Elves and prove that we can be trusted."

The Freelancers nodded, they won't question their CEOs words since everything is going well for them.

"By tomorrow, Princess Morithil will send an escort here. So get your rest, it may take a month or two for us to finish but we'll be damned rich at the end of it." Eliott smirked and his gang praised their cool leader.

"How about the village?" Elfad looked at Dave.

"They'll be fine. Some of the villagers have joined the guild, they're trained to defend the village if need be." Dave smiled.

"Even those old ladies are capable of throwing hands now..." Elfad thought.

"Eat lots, everyone! And get some rest!" Butch cheered and everyone cheered for their beloved mascot.

The night passes and dawn soon came, so did the escort that Morithil sent.

They waited at the forest near the village, they look uncertain.

"Why must we escort humans to our kingdom? They may be spies trying to discover our secrets." A Dark Elf whispered.

"I share your sentiment but the Princess' words are to be trusted." Another Dark Elf says.

"Tch... I doubt her ability to lead us."

And then, they sensed someone in the shadows. They turned with bows drawn, only to see Elfad.

"Calm down, I'm here to scout for you guys. I work for Freelancers." Elfad explained calmly.

"Human..." Dark Elf muttered angrily.

"Nope." Elfad then takes off his head, showing his pointy ears.

"An elf?" The Dark elves lowered their bows.

"Do you understand now?" Elfad's eyes momentarily glared at them.

Seeing that he was allied to these humans while being an elf, they tolerated them for now.