Chapter 9 - Saving the Kingdom

The next morning, the Freelancers began their work to help the Kingdom.

As mandated, each Freelancer had their own job in different districts of the Kingdom.

For the farmers, they've been advised by the Agricultural Freelancers to help them grow more crops in these trying times.

"So, you humans think you know how to grow a better crop than us?" A Dark Elf Farmer says.

"Yes, we got knowledge of advanced farming techniques and ways to avoid pests to eat your crop." A freelancer says.

"Okay, how?!" The Dark Elf Farmer commander.

Then a brief explanation later.

"Hold on, let these fellows cook." The farmers changed their minds.

Meanwhile, the Freelancing Cooks are Chefs have began rationing the remaining food in the Kingdom.

Even though smaller, the allocation of ingredients and nourishment was done masterfully thanks to their new knowledge by Dave. And their skills in cooking was literally out of this world, so the citizens have full bellies for work and leisure.

And the Freelancer Carpenters and Workers have began improving homes, working with the dark elf workers to reinstall and improve houses and structures.

Outside the Kingdom, Eliott and Evad went with the dark elf guard and warriors to combat monsters. They were amazed to their combined skills, akin to B - Ranking Adventurers. They're glad they were on their side.

Morithil's Belief in the Freelancers were correct, and the Dark Elves also started tolerating them. But there's still the bigger issues to tend to.

And that's where Dave, the lad he is, took up the biggest problem of the Kingdom.

"The lake..." Dave muttered, standing before a small lake.

"As you can see, the lake is drying up. And our need for construction and repairs had shaved the green forest." Morithil stood by Dave, looking at the lake solemnly.

"This lake was once large as a sea, now it shrunk throughout the years."

"Hmmm... Is there a nearby river here?" Dave rubbed his chin.

"Yes, but it's far away and the area around it is filled with powerful monsters. We wanted to retrieve water from the river, but losses will be many if we try." Morithil answered.

"Plus, it'll be incredibly taxing and expensive to travel from the river to here. The risks mentioned before enforce that."

"It's possible, we can make an artificial river. With that river as a source, then flowing it back here." Dave says.

"What!? Surely, you jest." Morithil chuckled.

Dave then spins his shovel and pickaxe, he starts to walk to where the river is at.

"S-Sir Dave, you surely cannot consider making an artificial river! The manpower and expenses would create a crisis!" Morithil says.

"I don't need people, I can dig a river. I just need where this river starts." Dave smiled.

"Ah— Then I shall come with you, alongside my best soldiers and workers. Please, wait for us to supply your efforts." Morithil says as she casts her dark hand, holding Dave like a toy.

"Oh wow, you let me grab you."

"Of course, your Highness. Wouldn't want to disobey you." Dave smiled.

"You're quite strange... I'd like to know more about you if there's time. For now, I'll comply with your request and trust in the plan you have." Morithil says as she puts him back down.