11. HEADS-UP, PETE'S HERE

◇◆◇◆◇◆◇◆◇

KITTY EXITED THE HOUSE WITH a tray of hot dog buns. A frown present on her face as she felt a headache beginning to form from all the screaming children running around, almost knocking into her, especially when she had been walking through the house. She left Carmy instead, practically running away from the hoard of adults that surrounded him, wanting to talk to him about New York or Michael. Two topics she didn't feel like revisiting. Especially at a children's party.

She spotted Richie standing behind the fold-out table. Rubbing his forehead with his thumb and forefinger and holding some serving tongs in his other hand. She noticed that he had blown up the hot dog he so passionately fought for and instead of putting The Beef t-shirt over it, he taped it on instead.

He looked up at her when he heard her footsteps, sending her a nod as she placed the buns down, placing a small, plastic cover on top. He opened his mouth to say something when he looked over her head, rolling his eyes as a new set of footsteps moved in their direction. 

Puzzled, Kitty looked over her shoulder, smiling at Uncle Jimmy as he walked over. He sent her a smile back before frowning when he looked at Richie. 

"I didn't come out to talk to you, all right?" Uncle Jimmy stated, sending a pointed look at Richie, "I don't wanna bicker. I just need quiet."

Richie lifted his hands in surrender, "I don't got anythin' to say to you."

"Oh, thank fuck," Kitty muttered under her breath as she leaned against the counter. Uncle Jimmy coming over to stand beside her. Keeping her in the middle of himself and Richie. 

"Except..."

Kitty's head snapped in Richie's direction. He was leaning against the counter on the other side of the grill. 

"...Head's-up. You know, Pete's here."

Kitty sighed in relief that that was all he needed to say. She had spotted Pete inside, practically running off in the opposite direction when she spotted him heading towards her. Knowing very well that he was interested in her talking to him about her New York bakery and the time she spend over there. 

Uncle Jimmy sighed, "Oh, I'm aware. I think Kitty, here, left a trail of dust behind when she ran away from him."

Kitty snorted, nodding her head in agreement.

Richie looked her way, an amused glint sparkling in his eyes, "Sugar better watch his ass."

"Sugar's not here," Kitty told him, frowning.