16. CERES

◇◆◇◆◇◆◇◆◇

"ALL RIGHT, SO YOU GUYS wanna hear the story or what?" Mikey asked, standing by the kitchen sink and washing his hands as thoroughly as he could. Making sure to get in between each finger. 

"Yeah, Mikes, go ahead," Richie grinned, nodding his head enthusiastically.

The rest of the group gathered around the kitchen nodding as well.

Mikey grinned and turned the tap off. He flicked some of the water onto the black haired woman standing nearby, sipping her beer. He laughed loudly when she leaned forward to kick his shin.

He stood in front of the kitchen counter, preparing the food as he finally began the story, "So we're at Ceres, right, which was the, er, the bar at the bottom of the Board of Trade Building, right? It was just this little bar in the lobby, right? The thing is, the place opened at, like, six-thirty in the morning, so that when traders lost their ass when the market opened, they could just walk over and just get hammered in this little fucking bar. Anyway, the name 'Ceres'...It was names after..." He belched loudly, "...The Goddess of Agriculture, sorry, and..."

"You and your fucking Ceres," Sugar said, rolling her eyes.

"Someone's jealous they weren't invited," Mikey teased. Keeping his focus on the meat he was prepping for grilling.

"I would not have gone," Sugar pointed out.

"You would have fucking gone!" He laughed, "Hey, Carmy, grate some parmesan."

Carmy nodded and pushed himself off the counter he was leaning again, "Yeah, I got ya," He said, patting Mikey on his back as he walked over towards where the parmesan was on the kitchen counter.

"Anyway, on top of the building, there was, like, a statue of Ceres, and her back, for all of you historians..." Mikey grinned teasingly, glancing over his shoulder at Sugar, Richie and Kitty, "...Was facing towards the east. And that's because all the trading had just moved to the Midwest. So, the architect, John Storrs, legend has it, he built this statue as like...It was like a big 'fuck you' Right?"

"Christ. Wake me up when the story starts and the fucking class is dismissed," Richie commented, doing a large fake yawn, "Fucking tell the story."

"I'm tryin' to tell the fuckin' story! So anyway..." He moved away from the meats to look over at the sauce, before walking back away from the stove, "...Anyway, the point is, we're out all night, we're drunk as shit, we're fucking high as shit. We figured the only place that's still open, of course, Ceres..."